Official Review: The Hayloft Girls by Jillian Hannold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: The Hayloft Girls by Jillian Hannold

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hayloft Girls" by Jillian Hannold.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“We have a long road ahead of us, but I’m glad we’re in this together. It’s just us girls and our horses.”-Danny
Max never imagined she would lose her parents at such a young age. She also couldn’t have predicted that she would be forced to live in an orphanage with a woman who hates children. Max’s life at the orphanage is horrible. She’s not allowed to socialize with the other children, except only in passing and bread is the only thing she can eat. When her life at the orphanage becomes unbearable, Max packs her things and runs away in search of a new home and a new beginning.

She comes across a horse farm that not only fills her with nostalgia, but rekindles a passion she always had for horses. In secret, she takes up temporary residence in the barn and meets a brown horse named Belle, who she immediately takes a liking to. It is in the barn that she meets another orphaned, runaway girl named Danny, who also has a passion for horses. The two girls immediately become friends and continue to live in the barn in secret. When trouble seems to hit the owners of the farm, Danny and Max must work together to protect the horses and the place that they have started to call home.

Jillian Hannold’s The Hayloft Girls is a middle grade book that will touch the hearts of many readers. The author writes a compelling plot that immediately draws readers into the story. The scenes in the book were very descriptive and I could visualize every moment that the characters were experiencing. The author did well in her creation and development of Max and Danielle. Even though I knew they were fictional characters, I was sympathetic to their struggles and losses. I immediately became invested in them.

Danny and Max are both strong characters who are great examples to young readers. They have experienced loss and loneliness, but their resilience and determination keeps them from giving up. When we first meet Danny, she has a hard demeanor and a blunt way of speaking. As the story progresses, we see the warmth of her character when she’s with her favorite horse, Calypso and in scenes with Max. We even see moments of vulnerability from Danny when she states, “Apparently, people only want to adopt babies, not eleven-year-old girls, especially one that would rather wear muddy boots and torn jeans than dresses and high-heeled shoes.” We see this vulnerability with Max as well. The author does a great job in crafting both girls’ strengths and weaknesses.

If I had to give a negative, it would be that I wish the story was a little longer. I would’ve loved to learn more about Danny’s past or Max’s life at the orphanage. Even though it was a short novel, the book is filled with so much characterization and plot. It evokes many emotions and makes readers sympathetic to any child who has lived a difficult life. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to young girls as Danny and Max are strong characters that serve as a great example of inner strength and determination. This was a wonderful book that touched my heart and I know it will touch another reader’s heart as well.

The Hayloft Girls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

A woman who hates children, and makes their lives difficult has no business working in an orphanage. But this does not happen only in fiction books, but in real life as well. Hopefully, such a book will be an eye opener to uproot this cancer from society.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:A woman who hates children, and makes their lives difficult has no business working in an orphanage. But this does not happen only in fiction books, but in real life as well. Hopefully, such a book will be an eye opener to uproot this cancer from society.
I agree. The scary part about this book is that it sounded like it could be a true story!

Thanks for reading! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It starts off sounding a little like Annie. I love stories about horses, and this sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:It starts off sounding a little like Annie. I love stories about horses, and this sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review.
I think you would really enjoy this story!

Thanks for reading! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman

Post by christinac_2585 »

Great review! I hate that the story doesn't go into Max and Danny's history because I think the reader would have a better understanding of their struggles. I agree that this would be a great book for young girls to read just by reading this review! Great job again and thank you for the review.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

christinac_2585 wrote:Great review! I hate that the story doesn't go into Max and Danny's history because I think the reader would have a better understanding of their struggles. I agree that this would be a great book for young girls to read just by reading this review! Great job again and thank you for the review.
Thank you so much for reading! :D

Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Love the way you structured the review. The book sounds awesome. I know that feeling of wishing that a book would have a tad more chapters.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Jaime Lync wrote:Love the way you structured the review. The book sounds awesome. I know that feeling of wishing that a book would have a tad more chapters.
Thank you for reading! :D

Return to “Children's Books”