Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out Loud" by Luz Agudelo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out Loud by Luz Agudelo is an illustrated rhyming book with an interesting look at bullying. Two friends, one male and one female, are hanging out at the beach having fun when they hear a distressed bird calling out. They hurry over to find out what's going on but discover something far worse than they could have imagined - a trash monster! Its name is Skull and it's a snake-like creature made up of all sorts of trash that's terrorizing a poor seagull. This bully is far worse than the typical real-life bully with a flaming skull for a head and razor sharp claws. It's up to these two innocent, frightened kids to save the day!

Bullying is an epidemic in our schools and has been since before even I was in school (and that was quite a long time ago!). The problem is that teaching kids to fight back against bullying always treads a fine line between silliness that would never work and turning one's kid into a bully themselves. What I appreciated here was that Out Loud walks that line very well - it shows kids who are initially scared to stand up to the bully become confident, working together and demanding that the bully stop without insulting or physically fighting.

I also really liked the subtle nod toward polluting our beaches and oceans. A trash monster couldn't possibly exist on a beach if people didn't leave garbage all over! This point also comes into play later when Skull explains how he became a bully. This then plays into the concept that, just like superheroes, every bully has an "origin story" of what made them into the bully they are.

An illustrated book is only as good as its art, and I really loved the art in Out Loud. Each page uses notebook paper as a background and the art looks great on it. The book is illustrated by Andres Restrepo and there's even a credit for "edited illustrations" by Conzumo. It's clear the book has been touched by numerous hands and it shines because of it. Especially due to the "villain" bully, it felt as much like a comic book as a kids book.

The other main piece of the book is its rhyming. The story is broken up into free-verse stanzas that use all sorts of rhymes. Some rhyme at the end of each line, some use multiple sets and others play with in-line rhyme. The numerous types of rhyming also make the book effective for teaching the concept of rhyme. As with most rhyming writing there are several lines that feel a bit forced, but for the most part the rhymes succeed. Most importantly, though, it definitely gets the story across.

The book's Amazon page suggests it for 8-12 year olds, and I'd definitely agree with that. There is the occasional "big" word - assembled and distressed, for example - but it should be readable for most kids in that age range, especially if it's read out loud to them as the title suggests. I highly recommend it to any kid in that age range to learn about bullying, rhyming and the importance of taking care of the environment. I'd rate it 3.5 stars if I could due to the few instances of forced rhyming, but officially I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Out Loud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like an amazing book that I need to add to my bookshelf! The first thing I love about it is how addresses bullying in an interesting way. The second thing is that it is a illustrated book for middle grade children. With the exception of graphic novels, illustrated books aren't usually written for the older ages any more. It's great that this one is.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

This sounds like an interesting book for kids to read. It sounds like it teaches a good message towards bullying, and I have never heard of a book for this age that teaches about the pollution on our beaches and in the ocean. You did a great job with this review, and I thank you for sharing this.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The review shows how good the book is, that makes me want it on my to-read list. The topic of the book, bullying, is very relevant, and it does a double-take by adding on sea pollution. A very good contribution to society by the author.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Lebow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lebow »

The review makes one want to have the book out Loud. The topic of bullying is a serious one but obviously it's covered in a very down to earth and constructive manner. Well done.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I really want to read the book now. Your review has got me all the more interested in this. This book is very good for kids I guess and I do want to purchase it for my cousin.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a top-notch book. My only question is if 8-12-year olds would really enjoy this style. Usually, by that age, kids are done with the rhyming books and simple art.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Wow, great art and such a unique take on bulling and environmental conservation! I love rhyming books as well. This sounds like a must read. Great review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Bullying is indeed an epidemic and it is good that there are books addressing this issue. I once reviewed a book that addressed this issue as well, but this sounds a bit different. Teaching about the environment as well is a nice touch. Thank you!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! Yes, bullying has been around for so long and it's so sad, but it's awesome that there are authors out there speaking about the subject and teaching children what to do in these situations. I like that the author also touches upon taking care of the environment. Thank you for sharing and congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

Thank you for the review!!! Bullying is a phenomenon that requires a lot of attention by everyone!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Sassylibrarian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sassylibrarian »

I read the book and found that this could have a great message about the environment and bullying. I was a little put off by some of the vocabulary. I can't imagine that my grandson would even understand some of it due to the some of the language used. The pictures seem to be for younger children but the story seems to be for older ones. It is a great idea but not my favorite.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Sounds like a nice book to teach values (plus rhymes) to kids. Thanks for the intensive review.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I really like the art and I think this book does a good job at addressing an important issue for kids. Awesome review and congrats on BOTD!
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This is a great topic to be addressed by a children's book and one of those that would do well on the bookcases of classes throughout our nations. I agree that the artwork works out just right for the audience and the style. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”