Official Review: Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore" by Bobbie Hill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don’t Grow Up to Be a Crack Whore by Bobbie Hill is categorized in the Children’s Book genre and is written in rhyme. It is the third installment in the Go to Bed, Damn It series. The story focuses on the things parents tell children to do (or not to do), and the reasons why. For example, you shouldn’t dye your brother blue or throw rocks at birds. There is a clear message given about why parents make children do certain things, such as their homework, chores, etc. Most of the sections end with a “don’t grow up to be a crack whore” refrain. In case you grew up on Mars, a crack whore is someone who finances their crack cocaine addiction through prostitution. Therein lies the problem – some of the word choices and descriptions are wildly inappropriate for kids.

This book is certainly unique and funny. I had a few laughs before thinking about the intended audience for this story. Sure, there are countless books out there that contain irreverent humor. However, this one is categorized on Amazon as a children’s book, so it seems unlikely it is being marketed to adults. Would an adult actually read this story to a child? Who would want to explain to a child what a crack whore is?

I felt like I was reading the script for a Saturday Night Live skit, a late-night comedy sketch that is not ready for prime time. I initially thought the book might make a humorous baby shower gift for someone with an offbeat sense of humor. Then I realized most mothers-to-be would rather receive a more useful gift for the impending bundle of joy.

The descriptions are creatively written, although the flow is awkward at times. Many of the words are too sophisticated for children to understand – for example, dredge, harass, varnish, irk, and maim. I assume you have already figured out crack and whore are also advanced words. To top it off, the word “damn” makes an appearance.

I can’t really say the book is formatted well. Each group of rhyming lines is not separated by page. As a result, the writing seems like one long stream of consciousness. In addition, I noticed one glaring error (“Don’t thrown”).

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I might have awarded 3 stars if the story had been designated for adults. Most of my criticism is based on the appropriateness of this book for children. Fans of irreverent comedy would find this a quick, enjoyable read. If it is not already apparent, I would not recommend this book to kids.

Don't Grow Up To Be A Crack Whore
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An odd book for kids, if indeed it is designated for them. It sounds like a funny book, but I agree that the book and its refrain are inappropriate for kids. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Hmm. Odd. Even the name wouldn't be something for children. It sounds like it might be funny, but I certainly am not going to explain to children what a crack whore is. Thanks for the review. I hope the author figures out who they are trying to sell this to.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Right away, I also found the title to be inappropriate to a book for kids, when I started reading the review. Really, how do you explain the word 'whore' to a child? Hopefully, the author may use this review as a basis to rework the product. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Gosh this has made my day :) I think this has been put in the wrong category and might be better off as a humourous book as a sort of joke for parents to be.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! The book is funny in an offbeat way, but it is, of course, not for kids of any age. I just can't understand what the author was thinking when he decided to categorize it in the Children's genre. I thought the classification was an error on the OBC review offer, but the book is also in the Children's genre on Amazon.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, here's the question: Who does the categorizing? If it isn't the author, maybe he did mean it as a joke. Maybe someone else is messing up the categorization?? Just a thought.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Wow, this is a children's book? The author has quite a sense of humor... It would be a great book for adults but this is definitely not a book for children.

Great Review!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Amagine wrote:Wow, this is a children's book? The author has quite a sense of humor... It would be a great book for adults but this is definitely not a book for children.

Great Review!
Thanks Amagine! I can see some people enjoying this book, depending on their tastes in humorous books. The book is not for everyone, to put it mildly.

-- 18 Apr 2017, 23:16 --
kandscreeley wrote:Well, here's the question: Who does the categorizing? If it isn't the author, maybe he did mean it as a joke. Maybe someone else is messing up the categorization?? Just a thought.

I assume the classification was done by the author.

-- 18 Apr 2017, 23:18 --

I think the author did it since the book is classified the same way on Amazon and here.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds really funny and like a book I would enjoy. You're right; the author needs to put it in a different category :lol:
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Reminds me of other parent humour books like "Go the F to Sleep". Could be a good gift for parents with kids who don't listen to reason. It does sound like a hilarious book though!
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kitkat3 and Guppy for taking the time to read my review. I can see people have an offbeat sense of humor liking this book. However, it still seems like it should not be classified as a children's book.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like it might be in the same vein as "Go the *#?* to Sleep". Which really went viral but was not at all for kids. Thanks for the review. Hopefully the book will be recategorized.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Elaine! I never heard of the book you mentioned - maybe that's a good thing? :) Within the Children's genre, I just can't see who would think the Crack Whore book was appropriate for kids.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I sometimes wonder what goes on in people's head when they say certain things are appropriate for children, when it's clearly not. I'm glad that parts of the book are funny, but geez, I would never even let a child look at this book, never mind reading it. Like others have said, hopefully, the author re-categorizes the book to a more suited audience. Thank you for the wonderful and well-written review, bookowlie!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Children's Books”