A Mandie Book Collection By Lois Gladys Leppard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Icon A Mandie Book Collection By Lois Gladys Leppard

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

A Mandie Book Collection By Lois Gladys Leppard, a wonderful children's collection of historical mysteries.

I started this series back in 5th grade and read all that the library had, which apparently was not all of them given that they were publishing new ones for a few years after. This collection is what brought me into loving the mystery genres. As a child history isn't always the best subject, but throw in a mystery and BAM a grip so tight I read one a day. I was hooked not just because the mystery, but because I lived in North Carolina at the time, which is where most of the book take place and the main Character, Amanda (Mandi) was Cherokee, which I am as well. The story grabbed hold of me, learning some actual history in the place of a fictional mystery.

Given it has been many, many years since I have read these books, I do not remember too much. However, remembering that I loved these books as a child, almost teenager, it leads me to believe that they are perfect for the kids. Of what I do remember, the book begins in the year 1900 when she turns 11 (I remember this well). Mandie finds herself in many different predicaments, a young child always getting into "mystery" because of her curiosity. I recently learned that the books grew with her where she finds herself in college.

There are at least 40 books, not including specials, before her main collection takes place and college. I love that they did so many, it allows for a child to grab hold of reading and build a love for it.

I might reread these even as an adult so I truly give them to my children as well as recommend them to an elementary school teacher I am friends with looking for books like these.
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

A Mandie Book Collection is a series I've never heard of before now. When you mentioned that it was a mysertery series, that grabbed my attention, and any way to help children develop an interest in history is a good thing. With so many books in the series, it is a wonderful way to cultivate a love of reading in a preteen. I remember my own mystery series that I loved, and was trying to read in the correct order. We were able to feel your enthusiasm for the Mandie Book Collection. Thank you for sharing this with us.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Thank you for your kind words. There was a lot of excitement when I rediscovered the series and found there were even more books. My friend has since ordered the entire series for her classroom with encouragement from her staffing team. After doing some reach, she was able to find that she could use them in her history lesson plans. Have to love the inclusion of multiple subjects in one lesson.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This is a series that I have to look into. Especially since you said that not only was it entertaining but it was educational as well. History is a hard subject for some children and that is why it is important to present it to children in a way that will gain their interest. A book series full of mystery AND history seems like the perfect idea.

Thank you for the recommendation! :character-smurfbrother:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have never heard of this series before, but they actually sound great. I am always looking for simple mystery stories, and ones that don't involve murder. It's funny how sometimes the children's books has exactly what you want. Thanks for telling us about these, I will check them out.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “Children's Books”