Official Review: And this is Wee by Faith Castonguay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: And this is Wee by Faith Castonguay

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And this is Wee" by Faith Castonguay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you remember what it was like to be four years old? What kind of games did you play? Who were your best friends? Did you break anything in the house? Did you get in trouble? Do you even remember what you were like when you were four? Unless your memory is exceptional or you have experience with a four-year old, you probably can’t recall those memories, can you? If you read Faith Castonguay’s, And This Wee, I’m positive that will jog your memory. Wee is an active four-year-old girl who is up for any kind of fun and adventure. From dancing with her teddy bear, having tea parties and breaking things around the house, Wee has a very busy schedule! In And This Wee, we get a front row view of the life of a 4 year old.

The first thing that I caught my eye were the illustrations. I felt that they contributed well to the story. I know that children will enjoy the images of Wee dancing, running and playing with her friends. In the story, the author puts the right amount of words on a page so as not to bombard young readers. The illustrations are colorful and the backgrounds on every page are finely done. Without even reading the book, children will enjoy looking at the illustrations and commenting on them.

The character Wee feels like a genuine four-year-old, which is perfect when writing for children. She’s happy, overly curious and full of so much energy that it sometimes causes accidents. Both children and adults will relate to her character. Children will relate to her because she serves as a reminder of themselves. Adults will relate to her for either the same reason or she serves as a reminder of another energetic four-year-old they know.

While I enjoyed the character and the illustrations, I was a bit disappointed with the plot. The story is basically an introduction to the character and it doesn’t serve any other purpose. It’s just pages of Wee jumping into one action after another. The plot simply lacks content to me. In every children’s story, there should be something that children can gain after reading it.

Even though, I wish there was a better plot, it was still an entertaining read. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The character, Wee, is someone who I feel children will have a real connection to. They will also enjoy looking at the different illustrations in the story. The plot is a little lacking, but the illustrations are strong enough to make this book worthy of being in a child’s book collection. I would recommend this book to children between the ages of 3 and 5. I would also recommend this to any adult who wants to try and remember what it is like to be a child again.

And this is Wee
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I enjoyed reading this review, and will like to get to know Wee for a glimpse of my possible childhood.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:I enjoyed reading this review, and will like to get to know Wee for a glimpse of my possible childhood.
You should! I read it and started having flashbacks to when I was four. They weren't good flashbacks, mind you, since I was kind of an awful child. :lol2:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

Thank you for this review. It sounds like a book that I need to be on the lookout for. I'm sure with the misadventures of Wee that this book would really speak to some children more than others?
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

RosesReviews wrote:Thank you for this review. It sounds like a book that I need to be on the lookout for. I'm sure with the misadventures of Wee that this book would really speak to some children more than others?
Hi, thanks for reading!

I think that this book can speak to all children in some way or form. Wee is mostly a little girl full of energy and always wanting to have fun. I think a lot of children can relate to that aspect of her.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely don't remember much about when I was four. Sounds like a pretty enjoyable book. Thanks for the review! Oh and I love the cover!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:I definitely don't remember much about when I was four. Sounds like a pretty enjoyable book. Thanks for the review! Oh and I love the cover!
Thanks for reading! :D

Return to “Children's Books”