Official Review: The Company of the Flaming Sword by Seamus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: The Company of the Flaming Sword by Seamus

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Company of the Flaming Sword" by Seamus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I think I had way too much fun reading The Company of the Flaming Sword by Seamus. It is an adventure story about a group of children that have formed their own club. This adventure starts when a map is found in between the pages of a very old book. There is no question but that this treasure must be found so that sweets can be bought.

When I first started reading this book, my first thought was that there was no way that children would go on this type of adventure. Then, I started to remember the things my cousins and I would get into at that age, like trying to dig to China or building our own fort. This book goes to show that there is no end to the adventures that children can find.

When a treasure map is found, there is no other option but to follow its leads with the accessories that the Company of the Flaming Sword have been given. They have a bard, an archer, a magician, 2 knights, and a prince. Of course, there are arguments and whining, but overall they are all in agreement that the treasure must be found. The children are determined to buy sweets with their part of the treasure, but soon realize that it should be shared with everyone in the kingdom. This shows the gradual gain of maturity in the children. They start to think of the bigger picture instead of just themselves.

This was a refreshing book to read and the author did a great job in capturing the mentality of how children act when grouped together and when they have to do things that they do not like. This mighty adventurers will have you cheering for them as they overcome fears and obstacles to reach their goal. The story almost makes you wish that you were a child again and able to go on such adventures. What would you do if you had the chance to go on a treasure hunt?

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because the book was entertaining from beginning to end. I see a moral in the story that leans toward: never give up on your dreams. It also shows that friends stick together no matter what happens and with this strength, you can achieve your dreams. While the names of the children are a little difficult to figure a pronunciation for, it essentially ties into the story line and does not detract from it.

The Company of the Flaming Sword
View: on Bookshelves

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Children adventure stories are kid's all time favourite. The review is very refreshing and gives me a flashback of my own childhood days when I used to think that a ghost stays under the drains. I bet the children would love this book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:Children adventure stories are kid's all time favourite. The review is very refreshing and gives me a flashback of my own childhood days when I used to think that a ghost stays under the drains. I bet the children would love this book. Thanks for the review.
I love reading adventure stories to my grandchildren. They try to act out the scenes as I read them. It is a blast to watch.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a great adventure and a fun book for children. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

The book is interesting. The imagination of children is unlimited and their adventure is breath taking. The purity of their soul makes their adventure and inagination more astonishing. This book reminds me of the book, "The Lord of Flies".
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Return to “Children's Books”