Official Review: Someone Get The Lights by Darlene Rennehan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Someone Get The Lights by Darlene Rennehan

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Someone Get The Lights" by Darlene Rennehan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darlene Rennahan's Someone Get the Lights is a book that addresses the issue of bullying for children in elementary school. The book follows the students in Miss Jacks' sixth grade class, and mainly focuses upon the conflict between Mindy Fairchilds and Mitch Gleeson. When the studious, socially awkward Mindy unintentionally embarrasses Mitch in front of the entire class, he vows to get even with her. Along with another bully, Mitch begins a campaign to humiliate Mindy, and refuses to stop until he feels that the score has been settled.

Someone Get the Lights is a well-intentioned book that attempts to illuminate (no pun intended) the truths about why some children become bullies, and how to help them see the error of their ways. The book also gives children some ideas of what to do if they witness bullying, or if they themselves are the victims of a bully. This book has its strong points, as well as some aspects that could be greatly improved upon.

The author makes a good effort to explain the mindset of a child who might be inclined to bully his or her classmates. The reader quickly learns that Mitch is a troubled young man from a home that is filled with anger and aggression, and that he is acting accordingly with what he has been taught. By exploring Mitch's inner workings, the author emphasizes the fact that "troublesome" children are often unhappy and in as much need of caring and support as the children they intimidate. Mitch's behavior is never excused, however, and the lesson of showing forgiveness and empathy toward one's enemies is a valuable one.

I also commend the author for giving examples of students who have the courage to do something about Mitch's bad behavior. On more than one occasion, a young man decides to report the bullying, even though he is afraid of what Mitch might do if he finds out. This act of bravery could encourage a student who wishes to speak up, but might decide not to out of fear.

But despite these good points, there are some major problems with this book. Foremost, I could tell that the book was not professionally edited. The writing is by no means bad, but does contain many small, careless errors that distracted me from the story. The book's weakest point, though, is campy, outdated dialogue used by the students. Having worked extensively with elementary schoolers, and being mother to a twelve-year-old, I can tell you that today's children do not use words like "swell," "buddy," and "missy." There are also some extremely long tracts of dialogue about topics that most sixth graders would be unlikely to take interest in, such as healthy eating. In fact, many of the children in Miss Jacks' class talk like walking encyclopedias!

Sadly, believe that many children would be turned off by the unnatural dialogue of this book. Between this problem and the lack of editing, I can only give Someone Get the Lights 2 out of 4 stars. However, I also believe that this book has the potential to be worthy of four stars with some reworking.

Someone Get The Lights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Thats sad that the book has so many flaws. I applaud any book that addresses the issue of bullying and tries to educate children on it. I hope the author make the necessary improvements to the book. It is needed in the kind of world our children are growing up in.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Amagine wrote:Thats sad that the book has so many flaws. I applaud any book that addresses the issue of bullying and tries to educate children on it. I hope the author make the necessary improvements to the book. It is needed in the kind of world our children are growing up in.
I completely agree with you. Thanks for reading my review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I always enjoy reading your insightful reviews. You give good, constructive criticism while still pointing out the positives. It's too bad the book wasn't edited well.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. I don't work with children and I can tell you they don't talk like that. It's too bad this wasn't a little more planned out in that aspect. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow. I don't work with children and I can tell you they don't talk like that. It's too bad this wasn't a little more planned out in that aspect. Thanks for the review.
Lol, I know, right! The language was very dated! Thanks for reading my review!

-- 17 Apr 2017, 14:00 --
bookowlie wrote:I always enjoy reading your insightful reviews. You give good, constructive criticism while still pointing out the positives. It's too bad the book wasn't edited well.
Thank you very much! :D :D :D I have to admit that I don't like having to write negative reviews, so I always try to include something positive!

Return to “Children's Books”