Official Review: Tea With the Queen by Charles Lunsford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Tea With the Queen by Charles Lunsford

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tea With the Queen" by Charles Lunsford.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m always looking for new books to enjoy with my two daughters and eagerly made this selection. Tea with the Queen is a children’s book by Charles Lunsford. It features some interesting characters and eye-catching pictures. Unfortunately, it also contains many errors along with thematic inconsistencies. I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars.

The story introduces us to a regal queen and her family. She and the king have been married for many years and have 4 children and several grandchildren. While the queen is grateful for her blessed and wonderful life, she is worried that her sons will not be able to attend her 90th birthday party. Her daughter does whatever she can to make her mother happy and sends messengers out to distant lands in search of the princes. The princess works hard to put together a lovely birthday party with an extensive guest list, an elaborate menu, and entertainment provided by the queen’s granddaughters. As the date of the party draws near, no word has been heard from the far-off princes and the queen laments her party will not be successful without them.

Tea with the Queen contains some meaningful themes such as the bond of family, acceptance, being free from prejudice, and contentment. These themes are usually wonderful in children’s books and I initially had high hopes for this book. However, there were so many inconsistencies that left me confused. For example, the queen feels she won’t have any fun at her party if her sons aren’t there, but seems to take for granted her daughter and granddaughters that remain near her, serving her and preparing for the party. It felt very sexist to me. In another part near the beginning of the story, the queen and her daughter make a joke about one of the princes being gay, but later the queen reflects on how she’s always been accepting and loving toward her son and his partner. I didn’t ever really know what point the author was trying to make. There were also more than a dozen grammatical, word use, and punctuation errors. The misuse of there/they’re/their made me want to pull my hair out.

I did appreciate the descriptions of the king and queen’s love story and felt like they both did truly care for and admire each other and their children. The princess, princes, and the grandchildren dote on and adore the queen. The art work throughout the book was also very cute and charming. Illustrator Jane Walker is clearly very talented and her pictures brought life to the story.

I’m not sure who I would recommend this book to. Lots of people like children’s books and perhaps others are better at overlooking errors than I am. I think with the help of a good editor and a few re-writes, this story could be quite good, but as it is now, I won’t be sharing it with my children.

Tea With the Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

When dealing with children, in my opinion, you have to be even more careful with errors. They haven't learned yet and a good example should be set for them. Too bad this book didn't live up to expectations. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for this review.
I agree with you on not knowing who to recommend this book to, I wouldn't like to read it either, because I prefer authors who give a clear message in their novels.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith

Return to “Children's Books”