Official Review: "My Sister, My Friend"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: "My Sister, My Friend"

Post by jamesabr »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""My Sister, My Friend"" by Barbara Dominick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Sister, My Friend is a fictional children's book written by Barbara Dominick. The story focuses on the relationship between Jill and Chris, two sisters who live in Harlem, New York. During one seemingly blissful snow day, Chris scolds Jill for engaging in a snowball fight when she was supposed to go home immediately after being dismissed from school. As Jill believes that she will be in huge trouble with her mother, something happens that threatens to change the power dynamic between the two sisters.

I enjoyed the book very much. The exposition that establishes Jill as a main character was well-suited to the situation. My inner child especially enjoyed the snowball fight scene. The word choice of "Freedom" shortly before it occurred definitely conveyed the tone of childish fun during a snow day well.

The images are well drawn. As someone whose college major focuses on graphic design and art, they illustrated the story well by providing imagery every so often. There were some moments in which the images appeared to be stiff when depicting motion, but I don't think that a child would mind this very small flaw. This, along with the word choices, helped me distinguish which of the sisters was Jill or Chris.

One of my favorite aspects of My Sister, My Friend was the fact that the adults were background characters. This was significant because it allows the reader, presumably a child, to relate to the story better by focusing on the children. The adults were not zany or unrealistically over the top in any way, which contributed to the moments of calm and tension that Jill and Chris felt in the story.

The child characters were believable and well-written. Chris is every bit what I would expect an older sister to react when she was scolding Jill. I could believe that the dynamic between the sisters is rocky at best sometimes, given that they are children and that there are unspoken rules between them. When Jill walks back home the second time and walks in on Chris doing something that a nice girl shouldn't do, the reader can believe that it was wrong because of the sisters' reactions to each other afterwards. Dominick conveyed the unspoken rule and sudden shift in power between the sisters very well.

Honestly, I can hardly find anything to nit-pick. There were a few grammatical errors, so I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4. Due to the sentence structure and word choices, this book would be ideal for elementary/grade school children who have an established reading proficiency in their grade. If I were to compare this book to a recent series, I would say that it resembled a show/book series like Arthur or Maya & Miguel.

"My Sister, My Friend"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jamesabr's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty good children's book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! This sounds like a lovely children's book!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds lovely me a great book for kids! Who doesn't love a snow day?
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Titus Michael
Currently Reading: River's Remorse
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Titus Michael »

I really love reading your review. Because you sure do have a way of making a book look spicy and interesting. Nice review and recommending this book for children will be awesome
Gbemisola
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbemisola.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Gbemisola »

I enjoyed reading your review. I experience this relationship between Jill and Chris everyday with my daughters. I believe they will enjoy reading this book.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I enjoyed your review, I don't mind reading this book, sounds exciting. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I have read a review of this book. I like the fact that this one reads the narrative of Jill and Chris from a different perspective. I enjoy children's books and think the review is nicley written.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Sounds like good lessons for my girls. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”