Official Review: Fantasy Animals by Janis Kirstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Fantasy Animals by Janis Kirstein

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fantasy Animals" by Janis Kirstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learning to get along with someone you don’t share similarities with can be tough. In Fantasy Animals, a children’s book written and illustrated Janis Kirstein, we follow two very different characters who must learn to work together and learn to appreciate their differences. I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story is sweet and fun for kids, but there were some spacing irregularities, odd formatting errors, and strangely-worded sentences that led me to believe the book was not professionally edited.

Fantasy Animals introduces us to Vortex, an anteater, and Scoop, a lion. These two don’t have much in common, aside from the fact that they were born joined together at the torso. Scoop must endure Vortex’s loud ant eating and Vortex has to put up with Scoop’s need for speed as they race through the jungle. The conjoined animals do not always get along and often become quite annoyed with each other. They often complain loudly, argue with each other, and disagree on pretty much everything. When the duo learns it’s possible to be separated surgically, they jump at the chance to be free. However, once they begin to work together and appreciate the positive attributes of the other, they aren’t so sure being separated is the best choice.

This story is sweet and has a great lesson about getting along. The author and illustrator, Janis Kirstein, is an educator and likely drew from her own “getting along” experiences for this book. The importance of appreciating another’s talents and skills is highlighted, as well as the importance of friendship and compromise. The illustrations are bright a fun and make the story feel like an old-fashioned folktale. I liked the lesson this book taught and think the story was very creative and imaginative. A helpful links for educators section included at the end of the book is a nice resource for teachers wanting to expand on the book’s themes.

My second-grade daughter read this book along with me and she liked it very much. Her favorite parts were the illustrations and the funny arguing the characters did. She was also very happy with the ending and seemed to understand lesson of the story. Some words in the story were too difficult for her (anesthesia, proboscis, nauseated) so I think this book was likely intended for readers in grades 3-5.

I would recommend Fantasy Animals to anyone who appreciates fun and creative children’s stories. Kids will like this story and anyone with a sibling will identify with the characters. This would be a fun book to read aloud to younger kids and would definitely inspire some deeper conversations about appreciating differences and getting along.

Fantasy Animals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like a great message! I'm always a little leery of children's books that are not well edited. I like my young readers to have excellent examples. Thanks for this review!!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

We could all use more lessons about getting along together. Sounds like a pretty interesting book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a fun read. It reminds me of the cartoon tv series CatDog :) . Too bad, though, about the errors. Good job on the review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the great review, Shelle! I almost picked this up myself because it sounded cute. I'm glad that you and your daughter enjoyed the read! Too bad about the errors, but it still seems like kids can get something out of it.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

What a great message this story holds! Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for the great review, Shelle! I almost picked this up myself because it sounded cute. I'm glad that you and your daughter enjoyed the read! Too bad about the errors, but it still seems like kids can get something out of it.
Thanks! I chose it specifically for my daughter and I to read together. She though it was so cool that she got to "help" me with the review.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Shelle wrote: I chose it specifically for my daughter and I to read together. She though it was so cool that she got to "help" me with the review.
Shelle, that is such a sweet idea. What a great way to model the joys of reading by sharing the review process with your daughter! :techie-reference:
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Return to “Children's Books”