The Beat On Ruby's Street By Jenna Zark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

The Beat On Ruby's Street By Jenna Zark

Post by Birdlady1950 »

THE BEAT ON RUBY'S STREET STORY-LINE:

In The Beat On Ruby's Street we find Ruby, a child of the 50's and the beatnik era. Ruby lives free and somewhat wild while mom and dad beatniks do their thing. Ruby's growing up and finding who she is. However, accused of stealing, Ruby's life implodes.

Never fear, Ruby's strong, determined, and coming of age. Ruby has dreams of poetry, meeting the famous Jack Kerousac, and becoming a poetic. Challenges will be met, confronted, and conquered.

Come along with Ruby as she grows up on beat street. My children's novel review of The Beat On Ruby's Street follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Author Jenna Zark explores the counter-culture of the beatniks, their philosophy, and lifestyle. Known as the beat generation, the 1950's were a time of change and restlessness. Exploring Ruby's growth from child to young adult, Zark gives the reader a real feel for this time period.

Giving Ruby a strong personality, Zark demonstrates the determination of the era. With excellent plotting, skillful character development, and pacing which will hold the reader's attention, Zark crafted a one of kind story.

Finally, in concluding my children's novel review of The Beat On Ruby's Street, I found a well-developed story-line, with engaging characters, and skillful plotting. I would not hesitate to buy this book for my self or a friend with proper age children as Zark explores a generator seen only in movies

THE BEAT ON RUBY'S STREET RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

Recommended for grade levels 5-12

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

Additionally, I received this book from the author and chose to voluntarily review the book with an honest children's novel/book review. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. In addition, the ARC did not affect my children's novel/book review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The type of children books that I enjoy exposing children to are the ones about a child of another time frame. It's kind of like an early history book for them as they see illustrations or read about things they never knew once existed.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Children's Books”