Review: Tommy Turner's Tremendous Travels by Ali Seegar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookTraveller
Currently Reading: Pawn of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booktraveller.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Review: Tommy Turner's Tremendous Travels by Ali Seegar

Post by BookTraveller »

Wonderful novel! Fantastic, heart-warming and fast-paced adventure that was impossible to put down. I absolutely loved every phrase of it! I want to thank Miss Ali Seegar for the advanced copy of her debut novel and for the opportunity to read it.

Tommy Turner’s Tremendous Travels by Ali Seegar tell the story of Tommy, a 12 year old boy and his adventures in a difficult period of his life. When Tommy’s mother announces that they will be moving from his little town to another, Tommy feels that his world is ending. Forced to leave everything behind including his best friend and fellow adventurer Digby, the 12-year-old struggles to adjust to a new life, a new school and the constant favouritism of his sister Sally.
But his life changes when he enters ‘Petrovsky’s Toy Store’, where his double-life starts. During the day, he’s a student at the High Brooms, struggling to fit in, make friends and survive encounters with bullies, and at night he’s an adventurer that travels to different planets meeting aliens, fighting mythical monsters and even winning the World Cup. When real life catches up to him, will Tommy be able to become the hero of his story?

First of all, I want to congratulate Patrick Hawkins for the brilliant illustrations in this book, they really helped me in imagining Tommy’s world and to fall deeper into the story.
Secondly, for Miss Ali Seegar, I want to say that you are a wonderful writer with an amazing talent. The writing is very nice, it flows perfectly and the simple vocabulary makes it very easy to understand and follow. The story-line is incredible, very rich in imagination and creativity.

In this novel there aren’t just adventures but lessons as well, lessons that come with life experiences. I loved to see the evolution of Tommy’s character from the lost boy desperately wanting attention and struggling with a new life to the boy against all odds overcomes his fears and insecurities and starts his own path in life. I fell in love with Tommy, with his courage and his ability to face his fears.
It was very easy for me to identify some of the challenges Tommy faced to ones that I had myself when I was younger, and that’s why I think this book isn’t just for children but for adults too. Mr Petrovsky, the toy store owner, represents the past and he’s there for a reason. The lessons that he teaches are the horrors of past wars, their consequences and that we should value what we have in our lives and the people that are important to us.

An amazing story with brilliant and memorable characters that will leave a tear in your eye. I highly recommend this book for children of all ages and for adults would like to remember that it’s like to be a child. I can’t wait for Miss Ali Seegar’s next novel!
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

Twelve years old can be an awkward and painful period of time in a child's life. To add a move from what is familiar could just add to those tumultuous feelings. To have an adult show a sincere and virtuous interest in a preteen is refreshing, and a reminder of what we all need to remember. That as adults, we need to remember what those preteen years were like for us, the struggles, and all those overwhelming emotions. We also, as adults, need to not dismiss the good that we can do in a child's life.

Your enthusiasm for this story shines through, and creates an interest in reading this book even as an adult reader.

What a wonderful thrill to be entrusted with an advance copy of this story,"Tommy Turner's Tremendous Travels". Thank you for sharing your review.

Return to “Children's Books”