Review: Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
watsoncamilla17
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 374
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-watsoncamilla17.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review: Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

Post by watsoncamilla17 »

Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor is the second book in Rick Riordan's new series based on Norse mythology.
When main character, Magnus Chase, who lives on the streets of Boston, dies, he wakes up in Valhalla - a Norse paradise for warriors - he thinks that it must be some sort of joke. But it isn't. Magnus and his friends Hearthstone(an elf), Blitzen(a dwarf) and Samirah(a Valkyrie) go off on a dangerous quests to stop Ragnarok a.k.a. the End of the World.
In this installation of the series, a new problem is threatening the world: Thor's Hammer is missing. And so Magnus and his friends set off on a quest to find it.
This book was amazing! Fast paced and exiting, it kept me on the edge of my seat. The dialogue is funny, the characters are interesting and unique, and the overall plot was very satisfying. In this book we not only get to explore character backgrounds, but we also deal with some important issues, such as religion and gender fluidity.
I would definitely recommend this book series to anyone, since it is not only immensely fun but also gives you some insight into a lesser known mythology.
elfeezareads
Currently Reading: The Haunted Library
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elfeezareads.html

Post by elfeezareads »

I love mythology and any retelling of mythology I would gravitate towards. I can't wait to start this series. I've heard a lot of good things about the series. Thank you for sharing your review and recommendation!
watsoncamilla17
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 374
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-watsoncamilla17.html

Post by watsoncamilla17 »

You're welcome! It's really a great book. You won't regret it! Have you read any of Rick Riordan's other books?
elfeezareads
Currently Reading: The Haunted Library
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elfeezareads.html

Post by elfeezareads »

Unfortunately not just yet. I am very behind on my reading. Rick Riordan's books are definitely on my to-read radar. I just need to read the books on my shelves first and I have a lot to read.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I’m generally a fan of Rick Riordan and series that tackle mythology in general. I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters are interesting and the world they’re in is very fun. However the second book in the series I found to be very long and much slower. Not nearly as much action as the first one has.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Children's Books”