Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon, by Patty Lovell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EricaOncMD
Bookshelf Size: 0

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon, by Patty Lovell

Post by EricaOncMD »

Do you feel "flawless"? Maybe "flaw-full" sometimes, like most people? We all have our imperfections. The important thing is to stand tall and stay confident, and great lesson for kids to learn early. Do you agree?

My kids and I always enjoy reading this book, "Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon," by Patty Lovell. Molly Lou Melon is a little girl in first grade who like all of us, has a few issues too. She is short, has large front teeth, not much of a singing voice, and is rather clumsy. She also has an awesome grandma who has taught her to stand tall, and be confident, despite those issues.

Molly moves to a new town and has to go to a new school. We all know how challenging that can be. Molly meets a little boy in her new class, Ronald Durkin, who is not very nice and makes fun of her. I like that Molly never forgets what her grandma told her, "believe in yourself and the world will believe in you too." She continues to do her thing and Ronald Durkin is eventually won over and actually apologizes near the end of the book, in a first grade sort of way anyway.

I like that Molly never curls up to cry. Other kids are actually not hostile, just sort of puzzled and observant (so yes, the bullies are always in the minority). What I like best is that after all is done and Ronald apologizes, Molly remembered to write her grandma. She says, "I wanted to tell you that everything you told me was exactly right!" She gave her grandma a chance to feel proud that she successfully taught a crucial life lesson.

I wish I had read this book when I was younger. Maybe I wouldn't have bothered myself too much about some issues. Anyway, I highly recommend it.

Have you ever had to teach your child(ren) such a lesson? How did you go about it? I'd love to hear so do get in touch! Cheers!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I do not (yet) have children but I think this book and it's message sounds wonderful. I have always believed stories can teach so much, to both adults and children alike, about life and learning how to be yourself. Thanks for sharing,
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
EricaOncMD
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EricaOncMD »

I'm glad you love the message just as much as I do. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Return to “Children's Books”