Official Review: Reindolphins by Kevin Brougher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Reindolphins by Kevin Brougher

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reindolphins" by Kevin Brougher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone takes a sick day once in a while, right? I've certainly been known to take one here and there, I've even faked a sick day on occasion to get out of a rough day of school/work or to do something way more fun. What would happen, though, if all of Santa's reindeer came down with the chicken pox just three days before Christmas? Santa doesn't exactly have backups he can call on a moment's notice to fly his sleigh! This is the premise of Reindolphins by Kevin Brougher, a delightful children's book that sees Santa put a call out to the animal kingdom, looking for the perfect replacement (or even a passable one!) for his magical reindeer. Like many famous Christmas stories the book is essentially an illustrated poem utilizing an ABCB rhyme scheme and containing typically 6-8 syllables per line.

When I first saw the title "Reindolphins", I was expecting something cheesy and quickly thrown together. Luckily, that couldn't have been further from the truth! This is absolutely one of the most delightful children's books I've ever seen. The illustrations (by Lisa Santa Cruz) are exceptional, making this effectively a stellar piece collection of Christmas art. There were times I even had to look again to see if an illustration was part photo/part artwork (or maybe photos run through a filter?) because it looked so great, but then I highly doubt they actually got someone dressed in a Santa suit to talk to a room full of gorillas and monkeys. I also found the borders around the images to be a great touch - the more muted, textured borders highlight the stunning artwork even more. The total lack of white space on the story pages somehow really elevated the experience for me.

It isn't just the pages and font that make this book great, though. Kevin does a great job utilizing the book's plot, showing just what would happen if Santa used rhinos or elephants or skunks instead of reindeer. The skunk page will bring a smile to many kids with the stink I'm sure (I chuckled myself, shhhh), and the fact that the 9 bunnies returned as over 20 due to their multiplying ways was very witty. While I found a situation where it seemed the rhyme was forced a bit, the rest of the book was top-notch, fitting very naturally into that classic, poetic ABCB Christmas flow.

It's worth mentioning that I reviewed a digital copy of the book, and that it seems the book is only available in physical form. As such, I can't completely attest to how the book look on actual printed pages. However, I can't help but imagine that these crisp, lovely images would look even better when given life in a hardcover book. The entire time I read the book I couldn't help but think this is one that belongs in libraries and book stores, and should be a new classic for families to read every Christmas.

Aside from the previously mentioned one time I found a forced rhyme, this book was phenomenal. It's a great length (just over 40 pages), it has tremendous artwork, a unique plot that plays up the humor perfectly without killing the premise and it's told in a cute way that would be great to read to kids. As such, this is a title that's easily worthy of 4 out of 4 stars, and I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone who celebrates Christmas and has kids to read it to!

Reindolphins
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds so cute! The cover is gorgeous so I can imagine how great the illustrations look on the inside!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

What a cute book! I wish I would have seen your review before Christmas! I'll definitely have to read this one next year!

Return to “Children's Books”