Official Review: Dynomike by Frankie B. Rabbit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Dynomike by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dynomike" by Frankie B. Rabbit.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dynomike: Come at Me, Bro by Frankie B. Rabbit is a children’s picture book with an anti-bullying message. It is the third installment in the Dynomike series featuring a young dinosaur. Dynomike and his friends are fearful of a bully on the school playground. A bull named Bully Bob Horn harasses them on a regular basis and takes their money and snacks. Tired of Bully Bob’s taunts, Dynomike decides that he and his buddies should stand up to the hateful bully. Will his plan work?

I enjoyed this creatively written book with overall themes of bullying, friendship, and problem-solving. The plot focuses on ways to work together toward a common goal, sometimes in humorous ways. At one point, the main character distracts Bully Bob by dancing in a quirky way and hopping around like a bunny. Aside from being funny, it’s heartwarming that Dynomike does this so that his friends can get away.

The story is told completely in rhyme. The lines on each page are fairly short and the plot is easy for young children to understand. There are a few words that would be fairly advanced for children, such as domain, taunting, squirms, and deuce. A parent or teacher could certainly explain what the words mean. Still, I think young children build up confidence when they can easily understand the words in a picture book on their own. This is especially important when a child begins to learn to read independently.

Dynomike is a likable character who would be a good role model for children. Bully Bob is well developed as the bully. The secondary characters function in the story as a group of Dynomike’s friends rather than as individuals in their own right. With one exception (Spunky), they don’t have names and the only thing distinguishing them is their appearance as different animals. Children would be entertained by the pictures of the minor characters. However, it’s difficult to relate to each of the animals without being given names or individual roles in the plot.

The cute and colorful illustrations are a nice complement for the narrative, for the most part. I particularly liked the different ways Bully Bob was depicted as the plot moved forward. There are one or two pages where there are “anonymous” dialogue bubbles. While it can be assumed that Dynomike and his friends are talking, no characters are shown. This might be confusing to kids, as there are no sight cues and it isn’t apparent who is speaking.

This book has earned a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable read with universal lessons about bullying, friendship, and working together in the face of adversity. The story is suitable for ages 3-8 and would be a welcome addition to a child’s bookshelf or teacher’s classroom library.

Dynomike
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a cute book for kids. I like it when an author adds universal lessons to the plot.

Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I can see kids really liking this book, especially Dynomike the cute dinosaur.
Frankie B Rabbit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Frankie B Rabbit »

Thanks for the great and honest book review! I appreciate you taking the time out to read this book. I hope enjoyed the read, and hope you check out our other books as well. I will be posting our others up for review soon. Thanks again.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Frankie B Rabbit wrote:Thanks for the great and honest book review! I appreciate you taking the time out to read this book. I hope enjoyed the read, and hope you check out our other books as well. I will be posting our others up for review soon. Thanks again.
It's always nice to find books that have a mix of a fun story and universal messages for children. :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great and well-written review, bookowlie! I love this concept of this book. Bullying happens sometimes without adults noticing and children not knowing what to do. What a great way to discuss this important topic in a friendly and comfortable way!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great book review! I love the titles and cover of the book. Will be adding to my list. May just get it for my kids for Christmas. :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Hsimone and TrishaAnn! I like when a children's book delivers important messages while still being entertaining.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

This sounds like a great little kids book. I like it when children's stories can have important messages like this one obviously does.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Kia, I agree! It's nice that a child can learn universal lessons while being entertained at the same time.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank You for the great review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for your kind works. The book was a really cute read.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable book for children with a very important lesson to impart, working together. Great job on the review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Kimmyschemy, thanks for the nice feedback. I think it's great that the book is part of a series, since kids love reading books that have the same main character.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

When I taught K-2nd grade, I would often have a hard time finding books that dealt with bullying without being overly preachy or too advanced for the students. Sounds like this one might work well for the age group.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Children's Books”