Official Review: ¡HOLA! Let's Learn Spanish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Official Review: ¡HOLA! Let's Learn Spanish

Post by AbbyC »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "¡HOLA! Let's Learn Spanish" by Judy Martialay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Title: !Hola! Lets Learn Spanish!
Author: Judy Martialay
Genre: Children/Educational/Spanish

Summary: Learn Spanish for kids! Meet Pete the Pilot and Panchito the Jumping Bean on a trip through Mexico as we learn common and useful words and terms while exploring the culture! Make a mask, learn about jumping beans, and find Mexico on a map all while having lots of fun!

This colorful little book is a great and surprisingly expansive starting point to learning Spanish. Geared and written for younger children, it's an easy read and can be very quick for more mature children to get through. It's also a fun read for parents and is intended to be used in groups to help reiterate everything being taught and practice pronunciation.

The book itself is broken up into several different parts consisting of two stories, a small skit, a song and more! Anyone vaguely familiar with the Mexican Spanish language will recognize some of the terms used but many were a little less common which made for an interesting read. While not an extensive breach into the language, it's a good opening for all ages but especially for the intended audience. I read it on my own in less than half an hour (which included Googling many of the phrases) and found both stories and all the activities very enjoyable!

I'm studying Spanish through several different resources right now and really loved the way this book incorporates the words into the stories. Phrases are used instead of just single words and they are used in ways that help the reader understand how exactly the phrases are normally used in everyday life. It was creative and fun and the drawings included were cute. The art was simple but clear and easy for children to apply to the story.

There is an audiobook that can be downloaded for read-along and help with pronunciation but I didn't download that part, being already familiar with the pronunciation of the words used.

My only complaint was that some of the words and phrases weren't made very clear. While I was able to grasp the idea due to context or look up the translation, most children might have trouble understanding which part of the line was the translation. This wasn't a big issue because of the index in the back with the list of words and phrases and their translations side by side. Because of this I rate !Hola! Let's Learn Spanish! 3 out of 4 stars. A great start to learning a new language!

¡HOLA! Let's Learn Spanish
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like AbbyC's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

What a great review. I'm studying Spanish right now as well, and I understand why the lack of clarity with some words was frustrating; that's the last thing you want when learning a new language! :)
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html

Post by AbbyC »

lucymn11 wrote:What a great review. I'm studying Spanish right now as well, and I understand why the lack of clarity with some words was frustrating; that's the last thing you want when learning a new language! :)
Thank you! Yes, it was a little frustrating but the meaning could be guessed and there was a very helpful index in the back! I'm studying Spanish too and really enjoyed the words and sentences used here. :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a helpful book for kids. I remember when my kids were young and used to watch Dora, The Explorer :) I think I, myself, would enjoy this one. Great job on the review.

Return to “Children's Books”