Official Review: The Mighty Ware Tree by M. Turner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Official Review: The Mighty Ware Tree by M. Turner

Post by Amheiser »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mighty Ware Tree" by M. Turner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The Adventures of Crab Missoulah: The Mighty Ware Tree”, by M. Turner, is a children’s mystery/detective adventure. This is book one in a series of adventures the author has planned for Daniel Thompson, aka Crab Missoulah, the detective. Dan has a penchant for adventure and has a well-worn collection of books relating to his great love of detective work. “All of his life he had dreamed of danger and of solving great mysteries . . .”, so when his parents decided to move from the city to a tomato farm, Dan packed up his books and collection of disguises, ready to explore and put his detective skills to work.

Dan was a little reluctant to give up his familiar school and his friends, but he wasn’t about to let that keep him from looking for the next mystery to be solved. The very first night on the farm he spotted some mysterious lights across a field. The next day Dan met his new neighbors, Violet and Herman, who were both around his age. He immediately recruited them into his detective club to help him investigate the curious lights. Together, they stumbled into some very scary adventures involving a mystical old tree and some disappearing baby pigs.

In this very well-written and fast-paced story, the reader is immediately taken along with Dan, his parents and his little brother, Elliot, to the tomato farm where his father is pursuing his dream of reinventing himself from being a boring accountant to being a health conscious tomato farmer. The story is written so the reader sees things from Dan’s perspective, which is somewhat influenced by his very active imagination, and isn’t always the way things actually are.

The author’s very capable use of descriptive words sets the scenes so vividly that the reader feels like he/she is involved in the story right along with the characters from the very start. Budge, the neighbor kids’ father is described as a, “. . . large puffy man who strangely reminded Dan of a freckled water balloon that had been overfilled.” There is a good balance between the narrative and the dialogue which keeps the story moving at a nice pace, and the plot creates an interesting story which has a good resolution.

In addition to being a very interesting, action-filled story, there are a lot of positive ideas presented such as how supportive Dan’s parents are of each other in their quest to make their lives better for themselves and their children. The author mentions a number of times how much research Dan’s father has put into his tomato farming. It shows that he isn’t just taking off on an irresponsible whim. He sets a good example for his children in his work ethics. Dan’s mom and the children show how resourceful they are in finding ways to make things work in their new life. There are also lessons to be learned from this story such as when Dan finds out what happens when a person jumps to conclusions before knowing all of the facts.

This book could use some editing. There are a few mistakes like missing words and double words. In some cases the wrong tenses of words are used, and there are also some words that are hyphenated incorrectly. These errors didn’t affect the flow of the story for me, but a child should be exposed to proper sentence structure and grammar in any book that they read.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, but because of the editing that needs to be done I can only rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to children who are the age of the main characters, Dan, Violet, and Herman, who seem to be around eight to ten years old; the content, vocabulary and length of the story is spot on for children of that age. The author tells the story in such a way that it brings the reader right into the action, so a child will feel like he/she is on an adventure with some new friends. I think that both boys and girls will find this story interesting and exciting to read, and will learn some positive life lessons in the process. At the end of the story the author has included an excerpt of the next book in this series. I’m excited to read more of Crab Missoulah’s adventurous mystery/detective stories.

The Mighty Ware Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amheiser's review? Post a comment saying so!
sam letson
Currently Reading: 15 minutes alone with god for men
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sam letson »

I really like the way in which the reviewer combines accurate assessment (very positive about the strengths of the book) with honesty (the importance of correct grammar and punctuation.)
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Seems like a really interesting read. Great work on the review by the way.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like a really good book! I'm hoping the author follows your advice and has the book edited since I don't like recommending books to children if there are many errors. That being said, I think my 10 yr old would love it!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very exciting book. Detective stories for kids usually are. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html

Post by Amheiser »

Sam Letson, thank you for the positive comments on the review. I really did like reading this book and there were very few errors so they didn't take away from the story line. I do hope that the author will continue with this series of adventure books. He had a good ideas with the first one.

-- 25 Feb 2017, 13:46 --

Wasif Ahmed,
Thank you for the positive comment on the review. This was an interesting read. Other than the few errors which a little editing can fix, it was well-written and held my interest.

-- 25 Feb 2017, 13:51 --

Elaine5,
I feel the same way about the editing. It's a shame that a good story can't be recommended to someone because of a few errors, but for children it is especially important to set a good example. I hope the author isn't discouraged because it never hurts to have a little editing done and I think this story is worth the read.

-- 25 Feb 2017, 13:57 --

Kimmyschemy06.
Thank you for the positive comment on the review. This is a good detective story for children because it has clues left here and there for them to put together so they can solve the puzzle along with the main character.

Return to “Children's Books”