Official Review: The Haunted Cell Phone by AJ Hard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Re: Official Review: The Haunted Cell Phone by AJ Hard

Post by lane_vespertine »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
lane_vespertine wrote:I just reread an essay by Octavia Butler recently. I don't have it in front of my now, so this is going to be a paraphrase. She points out, while giving advice to aspiring writers, that the number one most important element to being a successful writer is developing good habits. Writing, proofreading, accepting criticism, that sort of thing. She then says that inspiration is fickle and can't be counted upon. Finally, she points out that talent is fine if you have it, but healthy habits are more important to develop.
You book strikes me as an example of inspiration with absolutely no good habits. "Whoa, that is a cool idea," is way more common than someone who has taken the time to mold a novel from a craft and lots of hard work.
Anyway, well done on putting your experiences reading it in a cohesive manner.
Good job!
Yes, even my brother pointed out the same thing. I will certainly try to improve with my next review. Thanks!
I wasn't saying anything negative about your review! And I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear!
I was talking about the lack of proofreading of the book you reviewed.
Oh man, hopefully you don't think I'm a jerk!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

lane_vespertine wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:
lane_vespertine wrote:I just reread an essay by Octavia Butler recently. I don't have it in front of my now, so this is going to be a paraphrase. She points out, while giving advice to aspiring writers, that the number one most important element to being a successful writer is developing good habits. Writing, proofreading, accepting criticism, that sort of thing. She then says that inspiration is fickle and can't be counted upon. Finally, she points out that talent is fine if you have it, but healthy habits are more important to develop.
You book strikes me as an example of inspiration with absolutely no good habits. "Whoa, that is a cool idea," is way more common than someone who has taken the time to mold a novel from a craft and lots of hard work.
Anyway, well done on putting your experiences reading it in a cohesive manner.
Good job!

Yes, even my brother pointed out the same thing. I will certainly try to improve with my next review. Thanks!
I wasn't saying anything negative about your review! And I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear!
I was talking about the lack of proofreading of the book you reviewed.
Oh man, hopefully you don't think I'm a jerk!
Ohhh sorry... And it's not you.... I hope you do not think I am a jerk.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
sm1234
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sm1234.html

Post by sm1234 »

I just read your review and I have to say that this is the better review of the two books that you have reviewed. Still you should work harder to reach the potential of the other reviews I have been reading. Too bad this book was not able to live up to its expectation.
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

sm1234 wrote:I just read your review and I have to say that this is the better review of the two books that you have reviewed. Still you should work harder to reach the potential of the other reviews I have been reading. Too bad this book was not able to live up to its expectation.
Yes. Thanks for your suggestion and I am already working. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
sm1234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sm1234.html

Post by sm1234 »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
sm1234 wrote:I just read your review and I have to say that this is the better review of the two books that you have reviewed. Still you should work harder to reach the potential of the other reviews I have been reading. Too bad this book was not able to live up to its expectation.
Yes. Thanks for your suggestion and I am already working. :)
Ohhh great....And you are welcome.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

That really is too bad about all the mistakes. Hopefully the author can fix the book up and allow it to live up to its potential.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Kia wrote:That really is too bad about all the mistakes. Hopefully the author can fix the book up and allow it to live up to its potential.
Thank you for reading my review Kia. And yes I hope so too. :)
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like a disappointing book. Reviewing a book you did not enjoy can be very difficult so kudos to you.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Joan_Tapp

Post by Joan_Tapp »

Thanks for the review. My grandchildren had been asking for a new book and I know now not to get them this one.
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Elaine5 wrote:Sounds like a disappointing book. Reviewing a book you did not enjoy can be very difficult so kudos to you.
Yeah it was certainly disappointing. Thanks for reading my review though. :)

-- 14 Nov 2016, 11:41 --
Joan_Tapp wrote:Thanks for the review. My grandchildren had been asking for a new book and I know now not to get them this one.
You are welcome @joan. :)
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! It is disappointing when a book contains errors especially when the errors are simple and easily noticeable. Too bad the book was rushed because it seems like the main idea of the story could have some potential.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Kdonegan91 wrote:Great review! It is disappointing when a book contains errors especially when the errors are simple and easily noticeable. Too bad the book was rushed because it seems like the main idea of the story could have some potential.
Thank You for reading my review. :)

Return to “Children's Books”