Official Review: The Ten Story Collection by Patricia May

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The Ten Story Collection by Patricia May

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ten Story Collection" by Patricia May.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Meditation is a growing trend nowadays. The Ten Story Collection by Patricia May is a cute children's mediation book containing ten interactive stories designed to help kids to unwind and chill out after a stressful day. The author was inspired to create this delightful collection after attending a davidji seminar in Denver.

In the words of the author the book "introduces meditation in the form of a short story rhymes using a seashell as an interactive tool". The kids listen to the story while holding a seashell up to their ear. The soothing music provided through barcodes adds to the relaxing atmosphere. Each story in the book takes place in a different location and enticing illustrations grace its pages. At the end of the collection the author gives ten convincing reasons why kids should mediate. It helps to them relax, decreases aggressiveness, and provides valuable skills to name a few.

The poems are in fact relaxing visualization exercises using a guided imagery technique. The child needs to follow the instructions (i.e. taking a long deep breath, count to three and so on), and picture the scene described in order to relax. It is really sweet and gets the imagination going whilst relaxing him at the same time. Each poem concludes with the word "Namaste", meaning "I bow to you", an expression of greeting in Hindi. Being unfamiliar with it, I had to look it up.

I loved the book and the concept. I have read some of the stories to my nine year old son and he liked them. Our favorite poems were "The stream" which takes the reader to a trip on a wooden boat, and the "Forest" which takes the reader to a magical forest. The book advises to use a seashell for the exercises. It can be a problem since not everyone has an access to one. However, I think one can enjoy the book even without the shell. At one point my son preferred listening to the poems without the help of the shell.

The only issue I had with the book was his small size font. I got this collection as an ebook, but was unable read it on my kindle due to its too small font size. I didn't succeed to enlarge the writing, so ended up reading it on my computer, not a big deal. I suggest getting the book as a paper book for better reading experience. Otherwise the poems were engaging, the music soothing, and the illustrations beautiful.

It is my first meditation book so I can't compare it to other books, but I found it a great introduction to the world of meditation for kids. Actually, it's also a nice introduction for adults unfamiliar with mediation as well. Overall I found the book a great interactive tool, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This book has wonderfully detailed descriptions and great background music. The language is relatively simple so kids can understand it without any hassles. The author put together soothing meditations that are accessible to kids of all ages teaching them to relax. It is best to read it to the kids before bed, since it gives them great things to dream about afterward. I would recommend it to for kids aged
2 – 12 years as it a good start for beginners.

The Ten Story Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

The concept of this book is so unique and interesting. I just started trying meditation to help me sleep better but could never have imagined it would be something for kids as well.

Also, I'm an Indian and I've never known that meaning for 'Namaste'. It's just like hi and hello in English. Apparently it means 'I bow to the divine in you.' Makes sense as in Hinduism, one school of thought is that there is something divine in all of us.

Great Review. Congratulations to the author for getting 4 stars for the books. :)
gali

Post by gali »

Insomniac07 wrote:The concept of this book is so unique and interesting. I just started trying meditation to help me sleep better but could never have imagined it would be something for kids as well.

Also, I'm an Indian and I've never known that meaning for 'Namaste'. It's just like hi and hello in English. Apparently it means 'I bow to the divine in you.' Makes sense as in Hinduism, one school of thought is that there is something divine in all of us.

Great Review. Congratulations to the author for getting 4 stars for the books. :)
Thank you for your kind words. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Gali,

Excellent review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gali

Post by gali »

Vermont Reviews wrote:Gali,

Excellent review.

Vermont Reviews
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Beautiful review, gali! I love this concept! I once saw a teacher perform yoga exercises once a week and have her third graders rate their emotions before and after the yoga/breathing exercises. The kids really looked forward to every Wednesday because of this. I agree on the effectiveness of doing this. It can be relaxing and helps to focus on good energy rather than negative ones.

All-in-all, I loved reading your review and congratulate the author for receiving positive feedback and for writing such a great book! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Beautiful review, gali! I love this concept! I once saw a teacher perform yoga exercises once a week and have her third graders rate their emotions before and after the yoga/breathing exercises. The kids really looked forward to every Wednesday because of this. I agree on the effectiveness of doing this. It can be relaxing and helps to focus on good energy rather than negative ones.

All-in-all, I loved reading your review and congratulate the author for receiving positive feedback and for writing such a great book! :tiphat:
Thank you for your kind words. It is indeed a great practice for kids. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The concept of the stories sound unique and I think kids would love trying something different.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Nice review! This seems like a very unique book! I'm not personally into meditation, but I'm sure that this book would be a useful relaxation tool for many children.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you both. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I really enjoyed your review and I love that you had your son participate! I have also seen meditation work with children. It's amazing how effective it is when taken seriously. How did the music work with the text? Was it different per meditation or just playing in the background?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

bluemel4 wrote:I really enjoyed your review and I love that you had your son participate! I have also seen meditation work with children. It's amazing how effective it is when taken seriously. How did the music work with the text? Was it different per meditation or just playing in the background?
Thank you. :)

The music was playing in the background while I read the story. Each story had a diff barcode.
A retired Admin/Mod

Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I can absolutely see the benefit of introducing meditation to children. This book sounds fantastic for helping to get kids to relax. Congratulations to the author for the great review!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
gali

Post by gali »

Kia wrote:I can absolutely see the benefit of introducing meditation to children. This book sounds fantastic for helping to get kids to relax. Congratulations to the author for the great review!
I agree. Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Patsymay122
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Patsymay122 »

Thank you all for all the kind words on my book! And to gali, a special thanks for taking the time to read this book and give this your wonderful review! I really appreciate the fact that you actually took the time with your son. That is what it is all about! Thanks again, and Namaste, (The light in me beholds the light in you) Patricia May, author of the book, Seashell Meditations

Return to “Children's Books”