Good books for 4 year old?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leighann-Marie
Currently Reading: Furious
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighann-marie.html
Latest Review: "Hardup" by J. Scott Matthews

Good books for 4 year old?

Post by Leighann-Marie »

So I have a 4 year old step son. We are trying to get him interested in books. I am looking for good starter books for boys to help him learn to read.
His biggest interests are cars, boats, planes... (basically all modes of transportation)
He also loves sharks.
Any recommendations would be great, particularly if you've had luck with your own kids or know of someone who had luck with it.
Latest Review: "Hardup" by J. Scott Matthews
piccolabimba
Currently Reading: The house at the end of Hope Street
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by piccolabimba »

Leighann-Marie,

Mo Willems' "Elephant & Piggie" books are huge hits for young readers--even those who only read train books. The speech bubble dialogue format is reminiscent of the comic book (with one frame per page) and the stories center around a single, common theme. Examples include

My New Friend is so Fun!
We're in a Book!
That Mean Kid Stole My Ball!

Pretty much all of his books are great for catching attention of young readers and are also great places to start for the to read by themselves. Other "hits" of his are his "Pigeon" books (the pigeon drives the bus, the pigeon gets a puppy...) and "Knuffle Bunny"--a tragic story of how a stuffed bunny gets left at the laundromat accidentally and the struggle of to find it again. Interesting plot twist: the child doesn't know how to talk, so much of the story is about trying to communicate that Knuffle Bunny is missing.

LEGO has also got out some good transportation-y books using LEGO characters as well as community helpers like police, fire, trains, etc.
srawls89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srawls89.html

Post by srawls89 »

Rainbow Fish is a children's book that is a lot like The Ugly Duckling. This fish was beautiful, with its shiny, multi-color scales. The other fish didn't see this fish as being beautiful, since they were all plain and not shiny at all. This made the fish feel left out and ugly. But he was not ugly at all, and the ending is a happy one. :)
AbbyFinco
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyfinco.html

Post by AbbyFinco »

I read Dr.Suess Green eggs and ham to the 4 year old I babysat and He loved it! There is a boat, a train, and a plane in this book.
CanIBringABook
Currently Reading: Lord Peter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-canibringabook.html

Post by CanIBringABook »

The Night Worker by Katie Banks is a great one--beautifully illustrated, shows a loving father-son relationship, and has lots of big machinery!

Fire Truck and Trucks, Trucks, Trucks, both by Peter Sis, also have excellent illustrations. Because the books don't have many words, children can make up and tell stories about what's happening in the pictures.
Hannah Marie
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-marie.html

Post by Hannah Marie »

Wordless picture books are always a go to favorite of mine for emerging readers because even a four year old can create his own story from the pictures while developing concepts about print. A favorite of mine is Wave by Suzy Lee, but there are countless others.
biblioem
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biblioem.html

Post by biblioem »

I would also recommend Mo Willems' Elephant & Piggie series---it's simple enough for beginning readers and ALWAYS funny. He might also enjoy the Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold. There's also a Step into Reading boxed set of phonics books that features the Nickelodeon show Blaze and the Monster Machines (would be perfect for a little boy who is obsessed with cars, trucks, etc.). There's also Pete the Cat's Train Trip by James Dean (Pete the Cat is a whole series he would probably enjoy, beginning reader books and picture books).
cora_reads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cora-reads.html

Post by cora_reads »

Your 4 year old should like shark in the park by nick sharratt or hungry hungry sharks by Joanna cole and for transportation books maybe little blue truck leads the way.

-- 02 Oct 2016, 10:04 --

Your 4 year old should like shark in the park by nick sharratt or hungry hungry sharks by Joanna cole and for transportation books maybe little blue truck leads the way.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

My kids enjoyed book from Mo Willems, Sandra Boynton, Eric Carle, and National Geographic Kids series for nonfiction. When they were Preschool ages, I would take them to the library and let them choose a few books.
rosalyncaar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosalyncaar.html

Post by rosalyncaar »

Storytime with kids can be hard, especially if they're not used to reading. I wouldn't force him to read, but make it fun, quick and short. I know that's not a book recommendation, but I think it might help. Sometimes having a "storytime" where you sing and dance, then read a silly story for a couple minutes, then sing some more, might be a good way to start reading.
Jessa24
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... gonsong</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Voices
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessa24.html

Post by Jessa24 »

I had this book set called Magic Castle Readers that I loved when I was a kid. There are a bunch that might interest a little boy, like:

'Smile,' Says Little Crocodile
The Color Clown Comes to Town
A Dragon in a Wagon
A Wish-For Dinosaur
Away Went the Farmer's Hat
Little Too-Tall (Probably my favorite)
Polka-Dot Puppy (Another favorite)
What Do You Do With A Grumpy Kangaroo?

And many more. They are all educational (some teach rhyming, color mixtures, manners, etc.) Gosh I loved these books as a kid.

Another good one was The Dark at the Top of the Stares by Sam McBratney
The Toll Bridge Troll by Patricia Wolff is another good one that I think would be good for a little boy.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I recommend the following:

What to do with a box? by Chris Sheban
Dragon Was Terrible by Kelly DiPucchio with illustrations by Greg Pizzoli
Dino-Racing by Lisa Wheeler
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm a fan of the Pete the Cat series. They are educational, entertaining and there are books where Pete is on a train, a race car and more. I encourage you to giggle a few of the books to see if you think they will appeal to your little one.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I would definitely recommend sticking to books that are shorter, and have your kiddo engaged more in reading but letting them turn the pages and pointing out silly things in the illustrations to them. The Pigeon books mentioned above are great for this. Elephant and Piggy is easy for little ones to digest. And Pete the Cat are short enough and have some fun rhymes and repeated phrases that kids love to join in the reading with.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Children's Books”