Official Review: Shell's Amazing App by Courtney Milford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Shell's Amazing App by Courtney Milford

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shell's Amazing App" by Courtney Milford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shell Bailey is a girl with a lot going on. She's 11, almost 12, and goes to Sondra Doss Preparatory School in Orlando, Florida. She's the assistant editor for the Sandra Doss Prep website - The Daily Spot (the website replaced the newspaper - go future!) - but the official editor has a recurring role on a sitcom so she's not always around. She also loves writing fiction and reading, and ever since she learned to code at summer camp last year she's become a wiz at programming. Oh, and she models, as if all of that, along with normal homework and such, wasn't enough! She has an older, 10th grade brother named Dana and a younger brother in Kindergarten named Philmont, but he goes by "Philly".

Throughout all of this, she has to deal with her JRA - Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. If she has to walk a lot she needs a wheelchair, but needs to be pushed because otherwise too much pressure is put on her wrists if she attempts to push herself. It's not frequently an issue because she typically knows her limits, but it's something she has to consider at any given moment.

The titular "amazing app" is none other than an app called Pathways. Pathways can "technoport" (she calls it "technoporting" instead of "teleporting" because "anything with tech in it sounds scientific and, thus, possible") Shell anywhere she wants, even fictional worlds. She also writes a "Siri-like" voice command prompt for it that she calls "ARIEL" after her favorite mermaid (her real name is Michelle, but she's gone by Shell ever since she saw The Little Mermaid). ARIEL ends up becoming a character I wish I could see more of, maybe even her own spinoff!

As a former indie game developer, I'll admit the book had me hooked when it started talking about Ruby, Python and C++ (programming languages, although I used a much simpler language myself) and even more when Geocaching was mentioned. It's also a neat touch that she mentions numerous real books and things like reviewing books on Goodreads. I even learned that Elphaba is the name of the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz because of a play she's in!

The book really feels like being back in middle school as it's told in first person, with Shell frequently explaining things in her head as if talking to someone, and it genuinely reminded me of my own daughter (who is 13). She gets bored easily, she distracts herself, she likes to talk about the things she's passionate about - writing and coding - and it feels like she avoids the rest when she can. It definitely gets serious at times, however, as things like death, social services, moral dilemmas and even a love triangle are explored (she mentions she learned the term "love triangle" from an online writing course meant for high schoolers). Don't worry, though, the furthest the triangle gets is boyfriend/girlfriend status and closeness, these are 12 year olds after all!

Finally, perhaps most importantly, the book really handles JRA well. It's not just a random disability that was thrust upon her, in fact it's done so well that I'd be surprised if the author, a family member or really close friend doesn't have JRA themselves. While the end could maybe have been better - this is always an issue with books that could seemingly go on forever - and it could've used a little bit of editing (I found less than 10 errors total), I really enjoyed the book, and I think its intended audience (preteen and teenaged girls) would enjoy it even more, so I definitely feel Shell's Amazing App by Courtney Milford is worthy of 4 out of 4 stars. Those who need lots of action may not be a fan though, as the book is mostly realistic and devoid of antagonists or major problems despite Shell's superhero-like coding abilities and app, but it makes for a wonderful, relatable tale.

Shell's Amazing App
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

You wrote a very engaging review. It sounds like it would be interesting to see how Shell deals with all of her activities while managing her JRA. Especially since you mentioned how realistic that aspect of the story is.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
CataclysmicKnight
Currently Reading:

bluemel4 wrote:You wrote a very engaging review. It sounds like it would be interesting to see how Shell deals with all of her activities while managing her JRA. Especially since you mentioned how realistic that aspect of the story is.
Absolutely! I'd never heard of JRA before and this was enlightening for me about it, it's a cool way to bring awareness to it!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! I think teens and tweens would really find Shell to be inspiring. I also am not familiar with JRA and think that part would be very interesting.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
CataclysmicKnight
Currently Reading:

Shelle wrote:Great review! I think teens and tweens would really find Shell to be inspiring. I also am not familiar with JRA and think that part would be very interesting.
I couldn't agree more! I've actually been really, really tempted to get this book for my daughter, I think she'd get a kick out of it.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

What a great review you wrote! And the story sounds like one I'd like to read. I love that this book has the heroine doing things that authors tend to have male protagonists doing. I have two sons, and while I don't think they would go for reading it if I suggested it to them, it sounds like the kind of book they would enjoy if they gave it half a chance.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

A very insightful and deep review! I think this book is going to take me back to school. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

As always, you provided a very intriguing review. I might have to read this book. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What a story! I'm speechless. Got me thinking, what am I doing with my life?
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

It's amazing how much impact one can make at a very young age. You do not have to wait till you "grow up." Life begins early and greatness can be achieved regardless of age. This is what Shell's life embodies; living fully mindless of disabilities that can weigh one down. Lovely review, I agree that it would not only be an engaging read for teens, but a motivational one.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I have numerous family members with debilitating arthritis. It's great to see an author highlighting this disease in a novel.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I read your review word for word even though I already knew I wasn’t going to read the book. Your review made the book sound very pleasing to me that had no interest. Shell is such a strong young woman and should be admired. Great review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I definitely want to read this book! Shell sounds like an exceptional character, and I think she would be a strong, female role model.

Great review!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

This book sounds like it could be helpful for other girls suffering from JRA to gain inspiration from.
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

This is a very good review, and the book seems to talk to about such an important topic. Absolutely loved reading your review!

Return to “Children's Books”