The Cat in the Hat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
naniminna
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naniminna.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: The Cat in the Hat

Post by naniminna »

The Cat in the Hat was written during a different time, specifically when being home alone as a child wasn't that big of a deal. Hell, even when I was younger I was a turn key kid. If anything, I think that the children learn through the events of this book why you do not let strangers into the home. It's like when those people selling vacuum cleaners knock on your door! No matter how nice they are acting, don't let them into your home because you never know what kind of messes or disasters may strike when they enter. I think the struggle isn't the initial book, but more the sequel to the book and the tv show that followed.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
TMR-Virtual Oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmr-virtual-oracle.html

Post by TMR-Virtual Oracle »

Wow, I am actually really shocked to read some of these posts referring to The Cat in the Hat with such negativity. Dr. Suess books have been around for generations and were written in a different era. His books allowed children to explore the ideas of make believe and magic. A world where they can let their imagination blossom, not read so deep into the story line about strangers, keeping secrets, making messes etc. Anyway, not only did I grow up reading Dr. Suess books, I purchased and read a large number of his books to my daughter when she was young. We kept them all on her book shelf and she continued to read them herself as she got older. And when she has children of her own we will read them again.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I loved Dr. Seuss and never once thought of this book as a bad influence. His books are almost always read to as kid first, long before they are rereading it for themselves. As a Mom, we would just enjoy the story. When we revisited the books when they were slightly older, we had those little life lessons about strangers.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I loved this book as a child. It's is so rich with words and rhyme schemes that helps to improve children's literacy. When Dr. Seuss write this book, he had written it in response to debate going on about literacy in early childhood. Many people felt children didn't read because books for children were usually developmentally inappropriate and boring. He came along and wrote a book that was both entertaining and educational! This book helped develop the literacy skills of many children in the past and present.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

This book was always one that made me feel nervous as a kid, maybe because there was so much mess that needed to be cleaned! My mom was also not a big fan either, the morals are a bit vague haha
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Children's Books”