Most Influential Childhood Book?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Most Influential Childhood Book?

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

For me, one of the most influential books of my childhood was The Giver by Lois Lowry. It had a very interesting concept behind it. The dystopian future actually has arguments in favor of it. I feel like that nearly never happens. What I took out of this book has shaped a lot of my views on society, people, and such.
What was your most influential childhood book?
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
nitebyrd44
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitebyrd44.html
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras

Post by nitebyrd44 »

For me it would have to be the entire Wrinkle in Time series. I really identified with the main character, Meg. She had always felt a little different and I struggled with that as well. I loved reading about her transformation into someone who was confidant in who she was and in what she was able to do to shape her world and help the people around her.
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras
Thestruggleisrea1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thestruggleisrea1.html

Post by Thestruggleisrea1 »

The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein was my favorite. I have the book for my kids. For a tree to invoke such emotion at a young age, it's one I'll never forget.
sarahgracetaylor
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahgracetaylor.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarahgracetaylor »

DarkestbeforeDawn wrote:For me, one of the most influential books of my childhood was The Giver by Lois Lowry. It had a very interesting concept behind it. The dystopian future actually has arguments in favor of it. I feel like that nearly never happens. What I took out of this book has shaped a lot of my views on society, people, and such.
I second The Giver! It's been well over a decade since I first read it and it still causes me to think back and ponder it over.
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1419
fav_author_id: 33385

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

I liked Sherlock Holmes even at that age!
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket and Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, along with several novels in my native language, kept me company during my childhood. I still read books by both of those authors and love them just as much as I did those series.
My weekend is all booked!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I absolutely loved the Babysitter's Club books as a child. I also really enjoyed books written by Mary Downing Hahn--if she wrote it, I just had to check it out from the library!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Dystopian-pleasure
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dystopian-pleasure.html

Post by Dystopian-pleasure »

sarahgracetaylor wrote:
DarkestbeforeDawn wrote:For me, one of the most influential books of my childhood was The Giver by Lois Lowry. It had a very interesting concept behind it. The dystopian future actually has arguments in favor of it. I feel like that nearly never happens. What I took out of this book has shaped a lot of my views on society, people, and such.
I second The Giver! It's been well over a decade since I first read it and it still causes me to think back and ponder it over.

The Giver by far was the most influential. As a young child It definitely made me appreciate what I had.
TMR-Virtual Oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmr-virtual-oracle.html

Post by TMR-Virtual Oracle »

For me it would have to be the complete original series of The Hardy Boys, by Grosset & Dunlap.

I was hooked from the very first moment I started to read The Tower Treasure, I loved the mystery, the intrigue and trying to figure out clues. I was amazed and captivated by all the dangerous situations Frank and Joe faced with each book that I read. The new and interesting places they traveled when trying to solve a case, had me dreaming about traveling to places like, Mexico, Scotland, Egypt and I never even left my room. Our family actually managed to collect the original 58 volumes and we had the complete set until 2008, when they were lent out to a family friend for their boys to read and they were ruined by a flooded basement. I have never gotten over the loss of those books, and frankly, I don't know if I ever will. It is like a part of my childhood was lost at the same time.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I really loved reading Nancy Drew series growing up. She was so confident, witty, clever and adventurous. As a child those were all the characteristics I was not, so reading her stories made me want to become more like her. The cast of characters and the different mysteries she solved always pulled me into the story as well. I have always been a fan of mystery books!! I will continue to keep reading Nancy Drew over and over again throughout the years.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 159

Post by Lolly_Reader »

Alice in Wonderland. The cleverness of the twists of logic still pleases me today.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I loved the Hobbit. Being very petite, I could identify with Bilbo. I loved a short hero. I don't remember which came first, reading the book, or playing Gloin in a children's theatre production of the play. Either way, it was influential. Tolkien was probably the first author I read where I then felt compelled to read all of his works.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I don't think I could possibly pick just one. Charlotte's Web, Matilda, and Where the Red Fern Grows are books that have remained my absolute favorites over the years.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I would say that the most influential book for me would be anything written by Dr. Seuss. The reason is because having Dr. Seuss books read to me helped instill my deep love for reading. Also, since I write children's stories, a lot of his books influence some of my writing as well.
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Children's Books”