Official Review: The Adventures of Digbee: Have You Seen ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Official Review: The Adventures of Digbee: Have You Seen ...

Post by PashaRu »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Digbee: Have You Seen My Touque?" by Sheri-Lynn Kenny.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Digbee: Have You Seen My Toque? is a children’s book by Sheri-Lynn Kenny, and apparently the first in a series of what will be Digbee’s “many adventures.” Published in 2015, it is available in paperback from Amazon. My e-book is 32 pages, including covers and end sheets.

Digbee is a dinosaur – a coelophysis – and a brief explanation is given about the fossil remains of a coelophysis dinosaur being found along the Bay of Fundy near Parrsboro, Nova Scotia, Canada. The author is Canadian and lives in Parrsboro, thus the apparent inspiration for Digbee.

Digbee loves to put on his toque and yellow boots and play by the sea. (If you, like me, never heard the word “toque,” it’s apparently a common word in Canada for a knit cap.In the file I received and on Amazon it is also spelled "touque.") One day the wind blows Digbee’s toque away. Digbee gives chase, and along the way he encounters animals such as a polar bear, snake, beaver, peacock, butterfly, and others. Some give him help in his quest to find his missing hat.

The book is liberally illustrated with many colorful pictures. I’m not sure what the media are, but it looks like it could be crayon, pastels, and/or paint. There are pictures on every page, and three or four pages are full-page illustrations with no text. Where text is used, there are not more than four or five lines to a page (except for the final page), and these are written so that the last words of the lines rhyme.

Although the pictures are bright and colorful, they do not give the appearance of having been rendered by a trained artist. They are roughly drawn and colored, and the animals are mainly represented in side profile or full front view. All of this gives the illustrations a very amateur feel. Most of the illustrated objects – the sun, trees, flowers, some of the animals, and Digbee himself – are similar to what would be expected from grade-school students, and what parents of such children have hanging on their refrigerators all across the country. This is not meant to be an insult; perhaps the author was after this particular style. The bright colors may appeal to small children, but even very young children, through books and other media, are regularly exposed to better quality illustrations than are found in this book.

As mentioned, the text is written in a rhyming style, but many of the rhymes feel forced and awkward. Although the last words of the lines rhyme, there isn’t any rhythm to the text that could properly classify it as poetry. For example (punctuation and capitalization reproduced as they appear in the book):

There on the surface of the lake, he saw it.
It was not his toque, but a beaver with a tail mitt.
“I have not seen your toque as of yet”,
“But I have friends you can ask,
which I will go and get.”

Another:

From out of the woods came Larry the Lynx
who smiled wide
“Come on over, we have nothing to hide!”

After the story, there is a page that says “So…Lets Review”, and the next page contains eleven illustrations of animals encountered in the story, but they are lacking any kind of detail; they are mainly in silhouette. A bear, moose, fish, snake, frog, etc., are pictured, each in a different color, and the corresponding color is written over each picture. These illustrations are so roughly done I had to look twice at one or two to determine what they are. This page almost feels like an afterthought, as these colors are never mentioned in the main text of the book.

I didn’t see any significant lessons that could be taught from this story, aside from the fact that the creatures Digbee meets help him to find his hat. Several animals are pictured, and the final page can be used to teach colors, but some of the words used in telling the story – situation, sported, proud, suggested, absolutely – seem beyond the ken of children who are still learning their basic colors and animals. Finally, I wonder about the word “toque.” This is a very significant word in the story and even in the title itself, but seems quite inaccessible to children living outside of Canada.

This book may provide some entertainment for very small children. The story is extremely simple and the illustrations are bright and colorful. But the mediocre quality of the pictures coupled with awkward text prevent me from giving The Adventures of Digbee: Have You Seen My Toque? more than 2 out of 4 stars. I have difficulty recommending this to parents, as I think there are better books available for small children, and the $15 price tag seems quite high for a book of this caliber.

The Adventures of Digbee: Have You Seen My Touque?
View: on Bookshelves

Like PashaRu's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Awesome review! The plot sounds cute. Too bad it failed to deliver.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Great review! Am I the only one who felt confused by the title character name? I recall books about a dog named Digby from when I was younger but it makes sense that the association is with the area. Thanks for explaining the whole 'touque' thing too. This sounds like it may be a more regional book that tried to go with an Eric Carle type style.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for the comments. I think the book may have limited appeal, but it's not really for a general readership.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I enjoyed reading your review. My reviews of kid books tend to be really short. I can only come up with but so much to say about just a few words of text. I learned a lot from reading your critiques that I'll take into consideration. Thanks!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The whole toque/touque thing really confuses me! Is it from French or something?
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Tanaya wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. My reviews of kid books tend to be really short. I can only come up with but so much to say about just a few words of text. I learned a lot from reading your critiques that I'll take into consideration. Thanks!
Thanks, I probably don't need to write so much for a children's book! I tend to be rather verbose. :roll:

ALynnPowers wrote:The whole toque/touque thing really confuses me! Is it from French or something?
I think so. It's odd, the name of the file I received has the spelling "touque," but the cover and text of my e-book all contain the spelling "toque." However, the cover pictured here (and on Amazon) says "touque." Maybe it's acceptable both ways, like color/colour or fence/getouttamyyardyoulittlebratsorillthrowmyshoeatyou.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! Verbose is good....
I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by the word "toque". That sounds strange that the spelling of the word is different on the cover and text of your e-book vs. the cover here and on Amazon.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

My computer flags "touque" as a misspelling. But it also marks "colour" as misspelled. So maybe it's one of those things. You can have a colored toque or a coloured touque. But don't you dare let me catch you with a colored touque.

:eusa-naughty:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I still think this book wins the OBC award for most weirdly nteresting title of the month.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Haha could be. That in itself deserves a half star. Oh, wait, we can't give half stars. :|
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Nice review! Illustrations are so important when it comes to children's books.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks. Yes, I agree. Especially for the ages at which this book is presumably targeted.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nice and detailed review! I think it was beneficial mentioning the origin of the word, 'torque', especially since I have never heard of this word and would therefore be confused by it. Thank you your review! I hope you get to enjoy your next book!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks. I think one of the drawbacks of the book is the use of the word "toque," as this seems to be a word peculiar to a certain area of Canada. It seems to limit the potential audience/readership.

Return to “Children's Books”