Official Review: The Gift by Rebecca J. Hubbard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Official Review: The Gift by Rebecca J. Hubbard

Post by PashaRu »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gift" by Rebecca J. Hubbard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An offering in children’s fiction, The Gift by Rebecca J. Hubbard is a simple story about an eleven-year-old girl named Pip, her new horse named Buck, and how the two become friends. It was published in July 2015 and is available in both paperback and e-format.

The book is divided into two sections (my ePub comes in at 66 pages). The first is entitled “Pip,” and is told in first person POV by Pip. The second section is entitled (as you might guess) “Buck,” and is the same story as Pip’s, only told in first person POV by Buck.

Pip is excited to get “the coolest gift in the world” as a birthday present – a horse. He is “a scrawny, brown colt with a black mane” and “a white star on his forehead.” This seems to fulfill two wishes of Pip: she wanted a horse and also a best friend. Well, she has her horse, and she is sure that he will effectuate the second half of the equation. When she notices a mark shaped like a dollar sign on his hip, she names him Buck. She climbs onto the pasture fence and calls him, but he simply ignores her. Disappointed, she returns to the house, where her father gives her some helpful advice: “Friendship always takes work,” he tells her.

Thus goes Pip’s story. Over the course of several days, she tries various strategies to try to get Buck to notice and like her. She tries calling him, giving him candy, approaching him, backing away, and just sitting on the grass nearby. But Buck either ignores her or walks away. Poor, frustrated Pip consults with (or complains to) her father each day, and he gives her helpful advice. His remarks, however, are not aimed so much at specific things she can do to win Buck’s friendship and affection, but rather emphasize that friendship isn’t automatic and is something that takes effort. It is important to try to see things from Buck’s perspective. This is, in fact, the main theme of the story.

The second half of the book relates these same events from Buck’s point of view. He has been separated from his horse friends and also feels lonely. He wants a friend, too. But he doesn’t understand what the “tall, skinny girl with a black mane” wants. She mostly annoys him, sometimes frightens him, and he avoids her.

The narrative technique of relating the same simple events from two different perspectives is interesting and insightful. As mentioned, the main theme of the story is that it takes time, effort, and understanding to make a friend. While Pip expects the horse to immediately like her, she learns that friendship is not automatic, and it is important to win the trust of the other person (or horse, as the case may be) and try to see things from the other’s point of view. The same story told from Buck’s perspective lends an interesting layer to the story. Buck has no one with which to consult, and mostly just reacts to what Pip does. So he is not learning to be a friend; the real lesson here comes from Pip’s side, the helpful advice she receives from her father, and what she learns about making a friend. The inclusion of the story from Buck’s point of view simply demonstrates that our assumptions about the motives and thoughts of others may not always be correct.

The writing is simple enough that children ages 6-10 can read and understand this book. It can be read in under an hour, reading at a moderate speed. The 18 illustrations by Krickett King are adequate, but not stellar. They are simple monochrome shaded drawings and somewhat cartoonish. I don’t think they will arrest the attention of young children for very long.

Buck’s story is written from the perspective of a horse, not a human, so there are things he necessarily doesn’t understand. He calls Pip’s hair a “mane,” her clothing (perhaps a jacket?) a “flappy thing,” a bridle a “dangly thing,” a zipper a “shiny thing,” and thinks Pip eats grass like he does. Laughter seems foreign to him, as he refers to it as “a rich sound that seemed to rise up from her knees.” At the same time, however, he knows farmhouses, fences, dogs, coyotes, mountain lions, owls, trailers, and pockets by name. He even refers to the pasture as “heaven.” This seemed a bit incongruous to me. I don’t suppose young children would be bothered by this, but it didn’t seem to be a completely consistent portrayal of Buck.

Because of the moderate amount of text and simple black-and-white illustrations (in my ebook, anyway), this may not be overly appealing to young children. I’m not sure the main take-away lesson will be obvious enough to children 6-8 years old, so this may be a book better suited for parents to read and discuss with their children. I like the moral of the story and think it is a worthwhile subject for discussion. This book could be a catalyst for a dialogue between parents and their children about the importance of working to be a good friend and not assuming that we know what others are thinking and feeling.

I liked the story but didn’t love it. The illustrations are not top-quality and attention-grabbing, and there are (for me) some inconsistencies in the portrayal of Buck. But overall, The Gift is a pleasant story with a good moral and no objectionable material at all. It’s certainly suitable for young children. I give The Gift 3 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to parents of children 6-10 years old as something they could read and discuss together.

The Gift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like PashaRu's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review and it sounds like a nice book. :)

I didn't know you read kids' books as well. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

gali wrote:Great review and it sounds like a nice book. :)

I didn't know you read kids' books as well. 8)
Thanks! Well, I'm just a big kid anyway. ;)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I really liked your review, PashaRu! You gave enough details to keep a potential reader interested. I love the theme of the story, and definitely agree that a book like this a parent and/or teacher should read and discuss with kids. Someone as young as 6-10, like you said, may not fully understand the theme. They might just take the story at face value and read into it more deeply. Great review! I will definitely add this to my to-read list!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thank you for reading my review and for your kind comment.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. I always enjoy your detailed analysis. Based on the cover art, I can see your point about the illustrations not being anything special.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thank you! The artwork isn't bad, it's just not terribly impressive. For a book aimed at such a young readership, I think illustrations need to play a significant role in the reading/storytelling experience. The pictures in this book augment the text, but they aren't big, bright, and colorful by any means.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I agree regarding the pictures being important in a children's story. Think of the Dr. Seuss books. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Great review! I love the amount of detail you provide. I feel like anyone considering reading this book should read your review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thank you for your kind words! I hope it is helpful to anyone considering reading the book.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I would love this book if I were in third grade. It would be a lovely book for a classroom setting. I think kids could "get it" on some level, even if it's not conscious. Your review was full of useful info!!
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks! Maybe some kids would get it, especially those on the older end of the targeted readership.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds cute, shame the illustrations are not terrific though.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
PashaRu

Post by PashaRu »

It's a nice story, pretty well executed. More colorful and detailed illustrations would make it even more appealing, especially for children at the younger end of the spectrum.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Ah, I've been enjoying reading books targeted to younger readers lately. They're rather refreshing. This sounds like a cute book.

Return to “Children's Books”