The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CanIBringABook
Currently Reading: Lord Peter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-canibringabook.html

Re: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Post by CanIBringABook »

I just read this book as an adult, and loved the lyrical writing, imaginative story line, and philosophical depth. Can you get any more profound than "If anybody wants a sheep, that is a proof that he exists"?
FFM2016
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ffm2016.html

Post by FFM2016 »

The Little Prince or Le Petit Prince is a beautiful book across languages and continents.
I read it in French as a young teenager and then got to take part in a whole school production of the stage-play version - in French!!

I have just read it to my daughter as we got a beautiful copy (second hand with a slightly damaged cover only from the library bookstore). She really enjoyed it and asked many challenging questions.

Has anyone seen the new movie adaptation? We watched it as a family and I really enjoyed how they managed to keep the mystery and the excitement of the stories whilst also adapting it to show it's ongoing relevance to today's world and children.
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1419
fav_author_id: 33385

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

So brilliant and yet so deep, appealing to all age groups, a real classic, which is current even nowadays.
firefly_1995
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by firefly_1995 »

I, too, read this book for the first time in my French class in high school. It's wonderful in both languages, but my favorite thing about it comes from one of the most memorable quotes: "What is essential is invisible to the eye." Our emotions and hearts and things not seen on the surface matter just as much as what's tangible and in front of us. Things aren't what they seem more often than not, and when we neglect to look deeper, we miss so much.
Katie Birch

Post by Katie Birch »

Laurencbosch wrote:The Little Prince is one of the most memorable books I have ever read and it is a children's book. I read it for the first time for a class in high school and it soon became one of my favorites even as a young adult. It has so much depth and meaning that is masked so gracefully by the innocent nature of the work and almost every line meant so much to me. Many of the lines have become some of my favorite quotes. I love this story and I plan to continue to read it and learn from it as I get older.

What do you think of this story? Did you read it as a child? Do you or will you read it to your kids?
Sometims it seems to me that this book was written for every generation.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I also read this in high school. Unfortunately in high school I wasn't interested in books and I only like to read them if I choose to. I know it's a good book so maybe now that I'm older and more interested in books I'll have to read it again.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Ash Stein

Post by Ash Stein »

The Little Prince is such a wonderful book! I don't usually cry when I'm reading, but boy did I cry while I read this one. And the MOVIE. I started crying 2/3 in and I didn't really stop. And yet I still remember both fondly. Like most everyone says, a timeless classic.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I read it as a child and I have read it again recently. I do like the story and it is interesting how different it looks after many years. I think it is just great...
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

This is the book that I have read the most. It is a story that I love so much, maybe because I feel deeply identified with the protagonist and also with the Little Prince. I can even recall a few times in my life when I have applied a line from the book to s specific situation for it helps me understand it in an innocent light. I believe that innocence is a beautiful quality in any person regardless of their age...
Perhaps, a good next challenge would be to read it in French.... :D
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Of all the books I have read, this is my favorite. I love the lessons taught in this book. I particularly like the part about taming the fox and caring for the rose. This is one great book.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

This book was a classic in all sense there is. I can still remember how we tackle this one in highschool. Back then, everything we discussed was a vague memory keeping my distance to its truer and deeper meaniout childhood, innocence, love and lost. My literature teacher who happens to be one of my mentors will really be mad at me when she'll knew how I didn't take much of this seriously *sigh* but, really! I took it for granted!

I heard about the movie (which I had seen by the way and was equally amazing like the book per se). And because I'm very familiar with the story and characters, I decided to reread this (nostalgia as it seems). When I did? I told myself: See? There's more than meets the eye!

Yes, indeed! It all make sense now how The Little Prince's story stuck in everyone's lives who knew him. To be honest, sometimes I still look back and read parts of it to remind me somehow like an introspection, am I living my life like the grown-ups or like a child who is limitless, imaginative and open-minded to life's worth and beauty.

I know a lot of us were invested in reading romance novel but this one is worth a try. Believe me when I said, it takes as such to change someone, if not entirely then I don't know which it is then.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I haven't read this story since high school. I'm thinking it might be worth a revisit. Thank you bringing it to my mind.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

CatInTheHat wrote:I haven't read this story since high school. I'm thinking it might be worth a revisit. Thank you bringing it to my mind.
Yes it is! :) I bought a copy for myself. I read it once in awhile which in some sort serves as a reminder for me as an adult. I'd love to pass this book to my kids. :)

Return to “Children's Books”