Official Review: Suzie Sparkle and the Bewitched Picture

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Official Review: Suzie Sparkle and the Bewitched Picture

Post by melbuhtoast »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Suzie Sparkle and the Bewitched Picture" by Steve Moran.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Suzie Sparkle and the Bewitched Picture by Steve Moran is the next book in a series that follows the adventures of the title character, Suzie. While on a class trip to Sparkell Mansion, Suzie notices that one of the paintings is of a girl that looks an awful lot like her! Not only that, the girl in the painting keeps making faces and sticking her tongue out at Suzie, though somehow her classmates and teacher don’t seem to notice. By mistake, Suzie mutters the words, “I would like to change places with her. I would be fun,” and suddenly she finds herself lifted up off the ground and into the painting. There she learns that girl in the painting is none other than her ancestor, Lady Susan Sparkell, who is an evil witch that has waited many, many years for a female descendent with whom to switch places and escape from her painting.

Using her evil magic powers, Lady Susan leaps out of the painting, imprisoning Suzie in her place while Lady Susan pretends to be Suzie. Wanting nothing more than to put Lady Susan back in her place, Suzie visits other paintings and their inhabitants – all of which happen to be her ancestors – to plot her escape. Once their plan is in motion, they quickly find themselves in a battle of wits with a worth foe.

I generally enjoy children’s books that have a little action and adventure, and Suzie Sparkle and the Bewitched Picture absolutely fit the bill. I also enjoyed that it sprinkled in some humor for the adults that would be reading these books to their children with the addition of literary or historical characters, such as Sir Isaac Sparkell, Sherlock Sparkell, and Morgana le Fay, or other “punny” names, such as Inspector Norton and Inspector McAfee, who look after security.

Like most children’s stories, this one had a moral, and it’s an important one: to be happy with who you are. If it weren’t for Suzie’s desire to be rich and pampered, she never would’ve found herself in such a mess. This is an important lesson for all children to learn at an early age, and I liked the way in which it was incorporated into the story.

At only 131 pages, the book was a very quick and engaging read. Suzie is a character that many children can relate to, and this makes it incredibly easy to root for her and hope that she can best Lady Susan. The way in which the story unfolds is clever as well, and as such I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. Knowing that there are other books in this series excites me, and I look forward to reading them in the future.

Suzie Sparkle and the Bewitched Picture
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | Hassle-Free Sample

Like melbuhtoast's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Nice review! I had the pleasure of reading a different Suzie Sparkle book and thought it was cute. This one sounds really good too! Love the idea of her being trapped in a picture...so creative!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
melbuhtoast

Post by melbuhtoast »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Nice review! I had the pleasure of reading a different Suzie Sparkle book and thought it was cute. This one sounds really good too! Love the idea of her being trapped in a picture...so creative!
Thank you! I thought the storyline was creative as well. It's great to hear that the others are of a similar caliber. I am a big fan of fun, compelling children's series.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

This sounds like a great idea for a story, with a nice lesson as well. I enjoyed your review!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

I enjoyed reading your review. Although my daughter is still too young to comprehend what I'm reading to her, I still try to read to her on a regular basis. I'll have to look this series up and add it to my "read to my daughter" list.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
melbuhtoast

Post by melbuhtoast »

TheMusicalMuse wrote:I enjoyed reading your review. Although my daughter is still too young to comprehend what I'm reading to her, I still try to read to her on a regular basis. I'll have to look this series up and add it to my "read to my daughter" list.
You should! I think she'll likely find it exciting once she's a bit older, and the puns and literary/historical references are fun for the parents.
BlaqkViolette
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Glass Wall
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blaqkviolette.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by BlaqkViolette »

Great Review! It sounds like a very interesting plot!

Return to “Children's Books”