Official Review: The Case of the St Patrick's Day Mystery...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Official Review: The Case of the St Patrick's Day Mystery...

Post by TammyO »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Case of the St Patrick's Day Mystery Trip" by Rod Van Wyngarden.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Case of the St. Patrick’s Day Mystery Trip is a children’s book written by Rod Van Wyngarden. The book will be available in paperback on May 19, 2015. However, it can be pre-ordered today. The publisher is Tate Publishing and Enterprises, LLC. Who do you call when a problem arises? The Van Duren Detective Agency! The Van Duren twins pride themselves on being able to solve any and everything. From stolen artwork to missing jewelry, the Van Duren girls are on the job. But will the ultimate mystery finally stump the daring pair and their sidekick Kayla?

Clues are everywhere, but time is running out. Will the girls finally face defeat? Or will they solve the big case? Whether they do or do not, the Van Duren Detective Agency is always up for the challenge.

The plot was very engaging. The characters were very realistic and lovable. I even adored the trouble makers. They added another element to the story that made it even more believable. At least one character will remind you of yourself or someone you know. I fell in love with Haylie, Rachel and Kayla. They were well-rounded girls who loved to help in any way possible. I also loved their supportive parents. They were always there to encourage the girls.

The community of Lake Alamo is a place that is warm and inviting. The citizens are people that could be your next door neighbors. Lake Alamo brings back memories of childhood innocence. It is a community where the highlight of the weekend is riding bikes to the local comic book and soda shop. Children and adults will love this book. Children will enjoy it because the book has interesting characters and a really nice plot. Adults will love it because it entertains as well as teaches children important life lessons.

I enjoyed reading this story. The authors’ ability to weave an entertaining tale while teaching children certain fundamental skills is ingenious. It is a delightful children’s book. It is also a very cute mystery. I especially like that the book helps children with problem solving. It also helps them develop their critical thinking skills. For example, children can try solving the mysteries for themselves. They can later determine if their predictions were correct.

Overall, the book was wonderful and fun to read. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Children are impressionable and need books that set good examples for them. Also, the delightful, entertaining way in which the author does it, shows his talent as a writer. I would recommend this book to children and adults who enjoy a great mystery.

The Case of the St Patrick's Day Mystery Trip
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TammyO's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

This sounds like a wonderful book! What age range would you say it is?
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! A town where kids can ride bikes to the soda shop.....great! I think mystery books are a great genre for children. It teaches them critical thinking skills when they are trying to solve the mystery.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! This sounds like a fun, refreshing book. With so much dark, edgy stuff out there, it's nice to know that there are still authors that dare to keep it simple and pure.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Thanks everyone! :) This gem of book can be enjoyed by children up to twelve years old. Although there are many teens and adults who enjoy reading children's books as well. I really enjoyed reading it myself and will definitely recommend it to others. I agree with you'll, mystery books do tend to stretch a child's mind, which helps them develop certain fundamental skills, which is very important. And the entertaining, innocent way in which the author writes this book makes it that much more enjoyable.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
C S Harper
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by C S Harper »

Great review! This sounds like a really nice children's book.
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Thanks. It really is. It's also a very cute one. The girls are fifth graders so you can imagine how cute they were with their " Detective Agency."
C S Harper

Post by C S Harper »

I noticed that you mentioned that this book will be out in paperback on May 19. Is it not going to be out in eBook format as well?
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Not that I am aware of. The only format that is mentioned thus far is paperback. Perhaps the author will have an eBook available in the future. Still, I am not sure.
rvanwyng

Post by rvanwyng »

The Case of the St Patrick's Day Mystery Trip will have an eBook, like the first two books in the series.
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

Thanks for clarifying that for me and others as well. I was unsure because I did a search on Amazon for it and it only said it was going to be available in paperback. Also, I have noticed that the other books in the series are not numbered. Does that mean that they may be read in any order. Thanks!
rvanwyng

Post by rvanwyng »

The Van Duren sisters solve mysteries over six decades. There are four book series. The first series is targeted to upper elementary readers and takes place in 1967 (when the sisters are in elementary school). Several short mysteries that the reader is asked to solve. This book is the third in the series but written so they do not have to be read in order.
Series two takes place when the sisters are in high school (think Nancy Drew with one mystery). The third series takes place when the sisters are in their 30"s and have all moved away. Their mom is killed and they come home to find the killer. The fourth series takes place today, with the sisters in their 50's (think "Murder She Wrote"). No major crimes for 20 years until a Texas Serial Killer comes to their town. "The Ice Box Killer" is the first of this series.
Each book in the series is one month in that year. Each series will have 12 books.
Sorry for the long reply but I hope this helps. Also a portion of all sales go to charity. Boys Town and Feed My Starving Children are two of the eight charities involved. Last year $3,600 was raised for these charities and elementary school libraries. It is great to give back.
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

It is very commendable what you are doing. I truly believe that giving back is important also. Your charities are definitely great ones. Now I am extremely intrigued. I initially thought that you may have been inspired by your own daughters. However, it doesn't seem likely. What or who was your inspiration for these series? They all sound very fascinating. You mentioned two of my favorite mysteries, did they have a little to do with them? Answer only if you wish..
rvanwyng

Post by rvanwyng »

The three mystery solving sisters are inspired from my three amazing daughters Haylie, Rachel and Kayla Today they are 24, 24 and 22.. The small town of Lake Alamo, Texas is a mixture of my home town and several town I have lived in/near. They say write what you are passionate about. I love my daughters and mysteries. Giving back is important to me. If we all gave a little bit back, what a difference we can make. Publisher told me that A Stranger Comes To Town, the first book in the children's series is now in over 400 school libraries.. This has been a lot of fun. Thank you for the review, interest and passion......
C S Harper

Post by C S Harper »

I really do admire what you are doing. Great work! It's great that these are available on eBook as well as in paperback.

Return to “Children's Books”