The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns

Post by rcratty »

The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns (Author), Gordon Silveria (Illustrator)
The Greedy Triangle is a unique fun way to help children become comfortable with geometry. The book opens with a little triangle: "Once there was a triangle that was -- as most triangles are -- always busy." The little triangle has favorite places where triangles can be found such as "holding up roofs, supporting bridges, making music, catching the wind for sailboats, being slices of pie . . . The triangle's favorite thing, however, was to slip into place when people put their hands on their hips." This last refers to the space between the arm and the body. The triangle likes this shape because "that way I always hear the latest news . . . which I can tell my friends." Once the idea of a triangle shape is firmly established the triangle seeks the help of a shapeshifter to become a quadrilateral. With help of the shapeshifter the former triangle becomes a pentagon, hexagon, heptagon, octagon, nonagon, and decagon. The pattern and rhythm of The Greedy Triangle makes this an excellent four star way to teach geometry. ****
cvreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvreader.html

Post by cvreader »

Nice review! I'm looking forward to reading this book. It sounds like it will spark a nice geometry discussion.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Oh my goodness. I LOVE this book as a teacher. The book was introduced to me in a math course I took while training to be a teacher. It's genius! Giving the lesson of geometry of shapes and the lesson of being greedy. And the illustrations! We created a lesson plan around this book as well. It is a wonderful children's book.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a great educational book. I love when books serve multiple purposes. It's a book that teaches children math, it opens discussion between adults and children and it's simply a book that they can read and gain language skills from.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Children's Books”