Anne of Green Gables

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Anne of Green Gables series

Post by MsMartha »

I read these a long time ago and enjoyed them all. I've been considering reading them again.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Ruptain
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

Wonderful series. My parents always told me I had the same personality and...ahem...fire, as Anne. They were and still are a brilliant childhood memory, and I have them to this day. Maybe I need to go back and reread them, since it has been a few years.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I used to love this series! I first saw the movie in school and knew that I had to go read the books. I haven't read them in years, maybe I will again one of these days, they bring back such fond memories.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I found the first book, Anne of Green Gables, at a second hand bookstore when I was in college. I just LOVED it! So, I began my search for the rest of the series and I found them in 2006 in eBay. So, yes, I read all of them and I love them all. Anne Shirley is just so endearing. I still have the books in my shelves and my daughters are reading them and loving them as much as I do.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I am currently reading the first book of Anne of Green Gables and I also love it. I find her hyper attitude to be so funny when I am reading. Sometimes I think most of us should speak our minds more often like Anne Shirley does.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I read through all of the books and loved each one in its own right. I will always love Anne and would have loved to have read a final book about her in her old age, but each book is so well written and each character so memorable. After reading these and watching every movie out there on them it always made me long to live on Prince Edward Island.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Has anyone watched the new show Anne With an E on Netflix which is about Anne of Green Gables? I was just wondering if it is anything like the books. I am thinking about starting it up to see if it is any good.
BethStavros
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by BethStavros »

I just recently got hooked on this books--And I'm 30. I know, a little late. But seriously. I just finished Anne of Avolnea, and immediately bought Anne of the Island. In response to the contrast of this book with "current teen reads," I find the capability of the characters to be really intriguing. Adults trust the teenagers in it to be competent and responsible contributors to their community. I wonder what would happen if we eased off on helicopter parenting, and went back in that direction. I remember much of my early rebellion came from being treated like a child long after I stopped being one.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Such great books to read captures innocence that is so great that we all want to believe still exists.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: What If They Knew by T.R.Hendrick

Post by Palfree »

I love the Anne of Green Gables books! I was skeptical when my grandmother recommended the book when i was 12. When I read it i liked it so much I read the whole series! :techie-studyinggray:
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I completely fell in love with everything about this book. I only ever read the first book, but was captivated by it nonetheless. I longed to find a beautiful place to live in like Anne did.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I had the series in a large hardcover green book. I absolutely loved it as a little girl...until one day there was a giant spider near the bookshelf and I used Anne of Green Gables to crush it to death. I never read the book again...
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip&rsquo;s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I have the eight book boxed set in storage. I read them back to back in a few months in middle school (the ninth one was published more recently and not in my boxed set). I really wanted to move to Canada when I was reading those.

For some reason, I seem to remember not enjoying Rilla of Ingleside as much as the others, though I'm not sure if that was due to the decade that lapsed in the narrative between the previous one and that one or if it was because we saw Anne grow up over several books and we missed most of Rilla's formative years in that interregnum.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I read Anne of Green Gables as an adult. I thought it was beautiful. There is a series on Netflix called Anne with an E. It is a very well done version of the first book.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

My grandma got me interested in Anne of Green Gables. We watch the movies together every now and then. She never read the books, but I have the box set.

Return to “Children's Books”