Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Parks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dramaquill
Bookshelf Size: 0

Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Parks

Post by dramaquill »

When I was writing a play for some young children, I started reading some books that had characters the same age as the young actors. This was when I discovered Barbara Parks and the Junie B. Jones series. Junie B is a precocious and hilarious five year old (later books see Junie B in Grade One - now six). Although written as easy readers for young children, as an adult I found the stories very real and filled with many "laugh-out-loud" moments. Parks created a character that jumps off the page as a culmination of so many little ones in the 5-6 year age range. Great series to read to kids, or for kids to read themselves.
House_wife
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-house-wife.html

Post by House_wife »

I'm not sure why but my seven year old does not like the Junie B. Jones series.
Chelseafoshee
Currently Reading: The Miniaturist
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseafoshee.html

Post by Chelseafoshee »

I am a teacher and a firm believer in reading chapter books aloud with my kids each day. I teach 5-6 year olds, and out of all of the books I have read to them this year, the Junie B. series is their FAVORITE. It caters to all levels of readers ~ which I have a wide range of in the grade I teach. The students love her reactions to people and situations as she makes up silly words and over-reacts in the tone that she speaks in. I can personally see students outgrowing this type of book by the time they are 7 or 8 as Junie B. is an over-exaggerated character who says and does ridiculous things! It is a great beginner book for children who have only just begun to read or listen to chapter books.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

These are cute books for younger readers. I've gotten to read these books out loud a couple of times, and I've rather enjoyed them, as Junie actually reminds me of myself at that age (I was quite melodramatic!)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Both of my daughters read the Junie B. Jones books and loved them. They were great chapter books to read, especially for my youngest who was not a very strong reader.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
peony_olive
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peony-olive.html

Post by peony_olive »

My nephews used to fight over who had the most recent Junie B. Jones book! I loved being a part of that competition and buying the most recent ones for them - it was a great way of sparking their interest in reading.
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I am a kindergarten teacher and my own kids love this series
pinkings1
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkings1.html

Post by pinkings1 »

I'm going into 10th grade in school and have a few. I used to have almost all of them, but sold them since I had outgrown them.
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

My mom used to read these to my brothers and I when we were little before bedtime. We thought Junie B. was just the funniest kid ever.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
krood10
Currently Reading: gray wolf throne
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krood10.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by krood10 »

I cannot get enough of Junie B. These books are very interesting to read with young children because they don't get the malapropism in the books that make them so funny. I find that when I read them out loud I have to stop too much because I'm laughing too hard and my young audience does not get it. For all parents, siblings, teachers, babysitters, or anyone who finds themselves having to read books out loud on a regular basis. Read Junie B. Jones. It will make reading time much more fun.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
markg11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markg11.html

Post by markg11 »

I have only read two of the "Junie B." books but I found them entertaining to read. The two that I read reminded me of my time in the first grade. I am one of those people that remember details of my school days even the earliest days. I think I am like the old Receiver in Lois Lowry's "The Giver". I seem to remember getting third prize in an art contest to doing a backward somersault walking down the aisle after tripping over a chair leg. Junie B. shows us how to laugh at ourselves. I really like Junie B. First Grader "Boss of Lunch" I read a few of these books as a trip down memory lane.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I loved Junie B Jones when I was younger, and when I saw my younger sister also reading it, I was very pleased.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Nicolnik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolnik.html

Post by Nicolnik »

My daughters loved the movie and would watch it over and over. The books must be entertaining.
dobar96

Post by dobar96 »

I remember reading these books when i was younger and up to now i still cherish those books. i have even told my husband that it is a series his daughter will enjoy once she begins reading.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I love Junie B.! I agree, there are many laugh-out-loud moments, about half of them only funny to adults. What I love most is the way Junie speaks and narrates her stories. The author has the five-year-old speech rhythms down flat.

I also like how, with the way each book unfolds, Junie's behavior makes perfect sense to her, although seen from the outside (e.g. by the adults in her life), it would be both baffling and maddening. It's like the Ramona books in that way. I do recommend it for adults so that we can develop empathy with kids & develop a capacity to imagine that maybe the kid did mean well, despite all appearances. However, I know some adults who would hesitate to read Junie B. to a kid, since she gives them so many great ideas for chaotic and disrespectful behavior.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Return to “Children's Books”