J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter classic children’s literature

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chloe_miller_x
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter classic children’s literatur

Post by chloe_miller_x »

I grew up reading the Harry Potter series, and to date I can honestly say I have probably read the entire series 10 times - it is a series that I will continue to go back to time and time again. I got my first Harry Potter book when I was around 12 and I instantly fell in love with it, as the series progressed each sequel was just as compelling if not more so than the first. My first opinions of the Harry Potter series was that they were full of magic and mystery, just a bit of light reading for a curious mind. Unbeknownst to a naive teen the dark, serious underlying themes of the series.

The series discusses death a lot, from the initial discussion concerning Harry Potters' parents fate, the the unhealthy obsession Voldemort seems to have with overcoming death and becoming immortal. Another serious issue that is rife throughout the entire series is bigotry, first seen when Vernon and Petunia attempt to suppress Harry's natural instinct because it is against their own, then more frequently throughout the series when the term "mudblood' is used for the first time is a strong indicator of bigotry and discrimination.

Finally another issue broached by Rowling in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is that you cannot always believe everything you hear or see in the Media, the media (at times) only tells people what they want people to know, whether or not those beliefs are instilled by external or internal mediums.

All in all though, the Harry Potter series is an all time classic, one that will be forever cherished and loved in my house hold =)
KiarraLynn

Post by KiarraLynn »

My favorite series as a child. I have so many memories of the Harry Potter parties throughout my town. It was a grand experience.
dhoffman6035

Post by dhoffman6035 »

Harry Potter is a character that overcomes a lot of struggles and is a great example for young kids. When I first read these books, it took me a while to get into them but as soon as I was in I was hooked. I was at books-a-million every day a new book came out. I didn't come out of my room for anything but dinner when I got those books. Definitely one of my favorites!
HollyMichelle
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollymichelle.html
Reading Device: B00NQGONB2

Post by HollyMichelle »

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone was the first "big" book I read as a child! I loved growing up with the characters in the books. This was one of the reasons the series has been so special to me. I could see them grow and I have always felt like I know the characters. They're relatable and while they all have more dominant personality traits, those are not the only characteristics they show. Rowling does not just focus on one point of the characters' identities and then develop only that one aspect. The books show children growing up under so many different circumstances and allows the viewer to see how the character deals with the things going on around them. This then can help to provide life lessons. I can't tell you how much of a roll model Hermione was (and still is, really) to me. Feminine, strong, wickedly intelligent and witty, intuitive, eager, diligent, hardworking- those are amazing qualities to have at any age and the fact that they were so prevalent in Hermione at such a young age is beautiful because it has the ability to inspire anyone. This is, of course, just one of the amazing characters. I have read and reread this series so many times! (At least twice a year the past couple of years). I also enjoy the audio books read by Jim Dale. If your child has trouble sitting still for a while, playing an audio book in the background for her/him to listen to is still a great way for the child to enjoy books and develope a better vocabulary!
Sabrina
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Sabrina »

I avoided both the books and movies for years. I just started reading them last year and absolutely love them! I am not finished with the series because, I have to admit, I got a little bored after a while. I just needed to switch it up a little. They are wonderfully written and truly draw the reader in. I have not been as impressed with the movies, but they are still worth watching.
dcoleman1126
Currently Reading: Grey
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcoleman1126.html

Post by dcoleman1126 »

I love the Harry Potter series. Some of the best books I've ever read. The books are way better and more detailed than the movies. The books are always better!!!!! :D
coolio982

Post by coolio982 »

This book series has persuaded a whole generation to appreciate reading and inspired many to go on to great futures. There was a good progression of reading level throughout and the darker themes introduced later in the series mean that we have a world that is and will be a part of our culture forever.

-- 26 Jan 2016, 15:38 --

This book series has persuaded a whole generation to appreciate reading and inspired many to go on to great futures. There was a good progression of reading level throughout and the darker themes introduced later in the series mean that we have a world that is and will be a part of our culture forever.
Megan_McAllister

Post by Megan_McAllister »

The Harry Potter series is incredible. I have always read everything quickly and I usually read numerous books at a time but these books I read constantly without taking time for any other books. From the time I woke up until I went to bed I was reading these books one after the other and finished them in less than a week. Thankfully my older brother had the entire series so there was nothing stopping me. I love how the characters grow with each book. Even if someone read them all at one time when you go back and read them as you get older you understand how complex everything was and gain a deeper understanding of the characters and the events taking place within them.
Book Worm Jen
Currently Reading: The Fall
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-jen.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Book Worm Jen »

I remember having to sneak read the first couple books because my foster parents were Jehovah Witnesses and swore they were of the devil lol. Now I proudly own each in hardback, paperback and ebook form. My 8 year old daughter has just started reading them and she is hooked! My little one is trying extra hard to learn how to read so she can read them herself too. JK Rowling=Genius
StinaMarinaH

Post by StinaMarinaH »

I love these stories! I grew up with Harry Potter. I love how the books got darker and deeper, the farther along you read. Having been 11 when they came out, they grew with me.
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

To this date, Harry Potter is still my favorite books series of all time. I feel like it is such a universal story which so many important messages, written with a wit that one rarely sees in a book aimed towards younger readers. Although it is listed under children's literature, I have always felt that this book is appropriate for all ages. I started reading this series to my little sister when she was just 5 years old then, within the same month, introduced the story to my mother and many of my peers. It is a story that will stand the test of time, and the fact that it is finally being expanded makes me very excited for the future.

CR
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar
oreocookie1000
Currently Reading: The lightning theif
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreocookie1000.html

Post by oreocookie1000 »

I absolutely love this series it relates to the real world in so many ways and gave me heartache , and a strong urge to want to try butterbeer , I also love all the characters especially dobby and harry , I cant wait till the 8th book!.

-- 22 Apr 2016, 20:28 --

i also felt lost when I finished this series
NotNowImReading
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-notnowimreading.html

Post by NotNowImReading »

I know the Harry Potter series was written for children, but I'm an adult who absolutely fell in love with them. I read one right after the other and could not put them down. I was transported into a magical world of spells, castles, friendships, and battles and found myself wishing I wasn't a mere "Muggle." This is my favorite book series I've ever read.
heather_2012

Post by heather_2012 »

I remember staying up late even on school nights just to read the series! It was near impossible for me to put the books down! When I first started reading the books, many of the movies were already out and on DVD. As I was reading, I could picture each character and the sarcasm behind the statements as well as their body language. I absolutely loved the series and hope to read more of her work!
Dula
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dula.html

Post by Dula »

That is my son's favourite book series. By age of 9 ,he finished reading all the Harry Potter books published at that time.

Return to “Children's Books”