Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Gone Girl - Constructed images?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Gone Girl - Constructed images?

Post Number:#1 by Scott
» 26 Dec 2015, 19:47

The following is a question from the publisher.

Nick, ever conscious of the way he is being perceived, reflects on the images that people choose to portray in the world—constructed, sometimes plagiarized roles that we present as our personalities. Discuss the ways in which the characters—and their opinions of each other—are influenced by our culture’s avid consumption of TV shows, movies, and websites, and our need to fit each other into these roles.

Interesting topic. I'm not sure on this one. What really interested me is how the clever characters navigated the stereotypes and used other people's habit of stereotyping as pawns in their own strategic plans.
Did you know ALynnPowers wrote books? I sure as naughty word didn't. Check it out!

"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau
Publishing Contest ~ 960 Votes ~ View Scott's Entry
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 179 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Gone Girl - Constructed images?

Post Number:#2 by gaporter
» 23 Jul 2016, 21:41

Nick in the very beginning states how he hates this about our modern culture, yet fell in love with the stereotype his wife presented him. I think that if he hated these fake roles as much as he claims, he would've had a very different relationship with her from the beginning. But yet by the end they both see each other clearly perhaps for the first time, and it perversely seems to bring then even closer despite the circumstances.
gaporter's Latest Review: "Beyond the Tiger Mom" by Maya
gaporter

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 24%