Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Gone Girl Characters-Spoilers

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Re: Gone Girl Characters-Spoilers

Post Number:#46 by hsimone
» 30 Jul 2015, 13:47

I really enjoyed Gone Girl, too! I'm not a fan of either Nick or Amy, but I loved how their story played out. Amy is so deceiving, and I completely convinced that she was the victim that I couldn't help but feel sorry for towards the beginning. I absolutely loved how her true personality came out. So even though, I don't like her and can't relate to her at all, I do like how clever she is, just like danielle21 has said.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 371 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47 by Tanaya
» 03 Aug 2015, 13:18

I'm a major fan of Amy! I think what made me like her (though I can easily understand why others don't) was that her reasons for becoming such a vile human being were so subtle. Her parents wrote a book about her that perfected her flaws. How could that not build up in your over time and make you crazy?! I guess I just understood her in a strange way. No major trauma happened to her, but still her ultimate actions were kinda justifiable to me given her past. Trying to be perfect is mentally exhausting and eventually you just might snap!
Tanaya

Favorite Author: George Orwell
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#48 by bookfix_blog
» 02 Sep 2015, 08:13

I liked that they included the ex-boyfriend whose role in the relationship with Amy was how she was portrayed in her relationship with Nick. I also liked that she didn't see that and how oblivious and close-minded she was on her perspective on things.
bookfix_blog

Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 318 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#49 by Parkerosborne
» 17 Sep 2015, 13:14

I loved the characters.. They were both so wrong for each other it was so beautifully perfect. A beautiful disaster! I'm with every single person in the world who read this.. hated Nick at first and felt bad for Amy... but they were both so flawed it worked with their psychotic relationship.
Parkerosborne

Currently Reading: Hold Still
Bookshelf Size: 26 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#50 by Martha Cox
» 27 Oct 2015, 14:23

I liked Nick all the way to the end. But then when he should have cut and run, he stayed with his wife. Then I hated them both. I was never apathetic about them. I really cared what happened. I had hopes that Nick woukd get away and Amy would be punished.
Martha Cox

Currently Reading: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Bookshelf Size: 113 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#51 by CrescentMoon
» 08 Dec 2015, 14:43

It was very hard for me to like this book mostly because the main characters to me were so unlikeable. But once I got over that I realized that was the whole point. I really hated Nick because I hate cheating, but Amy was also really crazy. I was expecting a much more violent ending to be honest, so them staying together was a huge surprise to me. There is nothing romantic or sweet about their relationship but since they are both so messed up I think it was fitting for them to end up together.
CrescentMoon's Latest Review: "Sins Unforgiven" by J.G. Umbac
CrescentMoon

Currently Reading: Qualify
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#52 by klbradley
» 05 Jul 2016, 12:33

Gone Girl is one of my favorite recent reads, with the suspense and thrill of the unknowing. I love a book that will keep me guessing and engaged to the point that I can't stop until I reach the ending. With Gone Girl, I spent an entire afternoon and in to an evening reading, because as soon as I would stop I would just start thinking over the book in my head and have to pick it right back up. Gillian Flynn is great that way. I ending up reading two of her other novels right after, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. Those two had the same sort of feeling as Gone Girl. I recommend those if some of you have not already read!
She reads books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. -Annie Dillard
klbradley's Latest Review: "Honey tree Farm" by Brenda Spalding
klbradley

Favorite Book: The Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#53 by gaporter
» 24 Jul 2016, 17:01

I think that the characters had small pieces of themselves (mostly negative pieces) that would be relatable to a lot of people. I hope the larger character traits aren't relatable! None of the characters were pleasant, but I found that to be a little liberating and made the book more enjoyable. If I don't root for any of the characters to "win" then I won't be disappointed and could potentially enjoy any type of ending.
gaporter

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Previous