Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
10%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 159

Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I really enjoyed this book! It captured me from
the first and kept me thinking until the end. The deep insights and developments of the characters was engrossing. I enjoyed how this book had many layers and twists to the plot. I usually figure out endings ahead of time, but not with this one! However, I do agree with several other people's comments. By the end of the book, I didn't like any of the characters. The ending was a little bit of a let-down, but I'm not sure how it could have ended satisfactorily. For those reasons, I gave it 3 out of 4 stars even though I enjoyed the book, overall. I think I'll watch the movie soon, just to see how it compares!
Emmers00
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmers00.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Emmers00 »

I personally think this book is trash. While the plot twists are effective and gripping, the twisted psychological basis for the story is too much for me. I can appreaciate its well woven arc but it was simply too vile and horrendous for me to stomach much less find meaning in it.
Who being loved, is poor?-Mother Theresa
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

Loved the book, thought it had a good story line.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
kellyanne11
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellyanne11.html

Post by kellyanne11 »

I feel like I missed something with gone girl because I only thought it was ok and everyone seems to love it. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of mystery/thrillers and I tend to want to skip to the end of the book to see who did it lol
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

My boyfriend and I read this one together a few months back and we both highly enjoyed it. I like the different diary entries and how it starts making you feel one way about the characters and then completely switches gears on you. I didn't expect the direction it took and that made it a fantastic novel for me. I couldn't get enough of it and ended up finding her other two novels in the library. The end like others have said was disappointing, not the way I expected it end. Flynn has a special ability to get into minds of those with deviant behaviors and bring them to life. Highly enjoyed it, I gave it a 4.
Jennlsmith1103
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennlsmith1103.html

Post by Jennlsmith1103 »

This was one of my absolute favorite books! I have read it 3 times & everytime I get more and more information I didn't pick up on the previous time. Such a great read! Flynns twisted writing is so intense & on edge that I can hardly ever put down her books! Definite recommendation!
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Jennlsmith1103 wrote:This was one of my absolute favorite books! I have read it 3 times & everytime I get more and more information I didn't pick up on the previous time. Such a great read! Flynns twisted writing is so intense & on edge that I can hardly ever put down her books! Definite recommendation!
Have you read her other two, they are just as good
Jennlsmith1103
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennlsmith1103.html

Post by Jennlsmith1103 »

Yes literarycat I have! I think dark places was my favorite of the three though!
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Jennlsmith1103 wrote:Yes literarycat I have! I think dark places was my favorite of the three though!
I think out of the three, Sharp Objects was mine. My boyfriend and I were at the bookstore Saturday and seen a copy of Dark Places that sad now a major motion picture.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

‘Gone Girl’ was the first book of Gillian Flynn that I read and I personally think it’s a solid 3. I made the mistake of starting to read it on a Saturday morning. Ended up skipping all my chores just to finish the book.

I like the way the story started and felt that Flynn managed to convey the feeling of Amy’s sinister, plotting side, all hiding under the surface – while at the same time, appearing to be an ordinary women who just wanted the best for her husband (and her). The development of the two major characters was really engaging – up until the latter part of the book. At that point, I felt that Amy’s character has become less believable. I had no problem with the ending. Admittedly, I was less engaged with the story when I got to the end. :(
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

I thought this book was amazing. I gave it 4 stars. It really kept me intrigued the whole way through. I loved the twist in the second half of the novel. I found myself feeling an emotional connection with Amy. I felt sorry for her and began to dislike Nick for what he was putting her through. Then a complete shift at the end. My initial feelings towards the characters changed and I began to feel sorry for Nick as his wife is clearly crazy. That is the first time that has ever happened while reading a novel for me. I would defiantly recommend this novel to others. I found the book easy to read and the storyline was simple to follow. This is the first book I have read from Gillian Flynn and after reading this, I would love to read more from her.
miss_argyle
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-argyle.html
Latest Review: "Ordinary Handsome" by Steven Baird

Post by miss_argyle »

I was fascinated by this book for about 3/4 of the way and then a little turned off by the ending. I really want to like my protagonists, I guess and I wasn't a fan of either of them by the time I was done. That really had nothing to do with the writing itself. It's very readable and enjoyable for the most part.
Latest Review: "Ordinary Handsome" by Steven Baird
Thebookwonderland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookwonderland.html

Post by Thebookwonderland »

I absolutely loved Gone Girl. While I was reading it, I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I loved the plot twists and all of the insanity this book contained. I don't want to spoil anyone, so I'll just say that one of the characters in this novel just may be the craziest character I've ever read about so far!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I would rate Gone Girl 4 out of 4! A few of my friends and I got together to read this book for our first book club book. Wow, what a great way to start! I loved how the author splits the book into parts and has different character perspectives. It made it so much more intense, and kept me guessing on who was the real victim of the story. I think Gillian Flynn really captures how people can live one way, but be thinking in another. I loved this book so much that I bought her other two books!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I do agree that it was an incredible clichéd idea with very clichéd characters and, handled by less talented author, it would definitely turned up another soapy mystery. Gillian Flynn, however, had mastered it into a chilling psychological thriller. Watch out, the danger might meet you in your marital bed.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”