Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 160

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by gali »

Linda7228 wrote:
gali wrote:Ok, I finished the book and really like it. The author managed to fool me. I disliked the main characters though and thought they deserved each other. I found the ending lacking. The story itself was strong, but the ending was weak. It was a great book, but the end spoiled it. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
I really liked this book I gave it a 3 star rating because I completely agree with you I didn't like the ending. The characters I disliked as well but I think that was the intention of the author these characters weren't written to be likable. The story had me from beginning to end ( that part was disappointing :( ) but overall it's a book I would definitely recommend. I found that the ability of the author to get in the mind of what I consider to be a psychopath and a sociopath fascinating it's not something you read everyday , for me the twist and turns in this book make it really special.
Ditto! :)

I will also recommend this book, since overall I enjoyed most of it and found it unique.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Radhika_17
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Radhika_17 »

Added this book to my reading list just now!
Since almost everyone here seems to have enjoyed it, let's hope for the best! :)
reginabally
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reginabally.html
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman

Post by reginabally »

gali wrote:Ok, I finished the book and really like it. The author managed to fool me. I disliked the main characters though and thought they deserved each other. I found the ending lacking. The story itself was strong, but the ending was weak. It was a great book, but the end spoiled it. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
I strongly agree with you about the ending and I think I am fooled by the author when I start reading Part 2. Even though the ending is bad to me, but I still give it a 4 stars. This is one of the most intriguing books I've ever read.
A SAHM who reads and shares reviews on her blog.
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman
srkilgour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srkilgour.html
Latest Review: Blue Collar Cash by Ken Rusk

Post by srkilgour »

I loved this book! I thought the writing was fantastic and the story itself kept me so invested in it that I couldn't put the book down until the end. Which I agree was a little lackluster after such a great story up until that point but I still fully enjoyed it. I can't wait to watch the movie now.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

This book did for me what I always wish each book I read would do: Surprise me! There was a lot going on in this book, and at times I hated each of the characters and all of the situations they were thrown into. But that was awesome! That was exactly what I want from a book :)

I gave this book a 4; I thought it was excellent. It's definitely a book I would feel no shame in picking up again and again.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
ashleyalanarx90
Favorite Author: H.G. Wells
Favorite Book: Alice.s Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: March
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyalanarx90.html

Post by ashleyalanarx90 »

I want to read this book desperately! I'm running low on cash thanks to having my hours at work cut so I turned to the local library - 74 people ahead of me and only 5 copies of the book. So my best friend bought it, and I'm waiting in her to finish so I can borrow it! So excited to get my hands on it, especially after reading the opinions of everyone!!
Naomi
Favorite Author: Anais Nin
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomi.html
fav_author_id: 4414

Post by Naomi »

I devoured this book in just under two days, I really loved the way the story was written, plenty of twists and turns. Throughout it I found myself developing a love hate relationship for the two main characters with every twist the book took.

The only negative for me was the ending, it could have been a lot better, but apart from that I highly recommend it.
shorty277
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shorty277 »

I don't normally read this genre , but I could not put this one down. I loved the format of the book, alternating between present time and diary entries. I read it in a few days and then of course had to go see the movie adaptation. I think it was done very well and followed the book pretty closely. This book has made me want to read more by this author. I will read Dark Places next. As for Gone Girl, I highly recommend for a good thriller with a twist.
mandap24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

I absolutely loved Gone Girl and recommend it to everyone, especially those who enjoy thriller/crime novels. The book sucked me in within the first few pages and I could not stop. I wanted to find out what happened to Amy. I was as curious as Nick, "what is Amy thinking?" The style of writing Gillian Flynn was unique, going back and forth between Nick's pov and Amy's diary. This book constantly had me guessing as to what would happen next and it felt thrilling getting wrapped in to the case of missing Amy.

The ending felt a bit anticlimatic but it didn't lessen my love for the book as a whole. I was actually glad it didn't end the way I wanted because then it wouldn't be as original. Flynn writes her characters well, the reader is given two perfectly normal people at face value, it's what the media sees, just the surface. She slowly reveals the character flaws that build up and these two people are not even close to the perfect image the display to the world. One of my favorite things about this book was the jokes about writing, that writers like Amy and Nick would clearly understand.
My rating of this book was 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book one will not soon forget.
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
tinegunner
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Favorite Book: The English Patient
Currently Reading: The Girl who Played with Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinegunner.html
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by tinegunner »

I thought it was amazing. I couldn't put it down. After I finished I immediately bought Flynn's other two books and read them in a week. (They are also quite good but not quite as jawdropping).
I loved how completely flawed the characters are. It's amazing that you hate them but can't stop reading them. They're just so completely black it's laughable but utterly convincing. If anything, the story has maybe just a few too many twists and turns but not in a confusing way, it definitely kept me ready. I actually loved the ending - I won't spoil it but it was so fitting for the two main characters. Clever girl.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

It's definitely a book that you don't want to put down.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
lhuffman333

Post by lhuffman333 »

I like Gone Girl despite the fact that everyone knows the story because of the movie. However, it's one of the few books where I hated all the main character, I just hated the husband less than the others!
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I have been reading the other posts here and a lot of people seem to have really enjoyed reading Gone Girl. It is most definitely going on my to-read list! :D
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
bhart1988
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhart1988.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by bhart1988 »

I am currently reading this book and so far it is great! The back and forth between the characters is a really tugs and pulls you in different directions. Perspective makes it more than just a mystery.
2Friendly
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The False Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2friendly.html
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by 2Friendly »

I had been interested in reading Gone Girl, but reading the comments above, I feel like it isn't my sort of book. Thank you for saving me from disappointment.
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”