Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 160

shybrandon5
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shybrandon5.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by shybrandon5 »

I give this book a 4 star rating. I don't usually find myself reading books with a lot of mystery and suspense but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Though the beginning was a little slow once I got going I found myself unable to put the book down. I began disliking and liking characters only to have the book completely turn around on me and try to fight through having to change how I feel about characters. It takes a really good author to make a book where you end up feeling sorry for the character you disliked in the beginning. This is a book I recommend to my friends and people who like to read.
cathylambert
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathylambert.html

Post by cathylambert »

I really liked the book and had read it sometime ago. I am now reading Sharp Objects by the same author. I am also liking this book!
akm10c
Currently Reading: Everything Burns
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akm10c.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by akm10c »

I have to say that this is my least favorite book by Gillian Flynn, but I would still give it a solid 4 star rating. Dark Places and Sharp Objects were much more intriguing and held my attention from beginning to end.
MidLifeCrisisGirl

Post by MidLifeCrisisGirl »

I couldn't put the book down but by the end had no sympathy at all for either of the lead characters. Readers were led to sympathise with the husband from the start but as the story progressed it became clear that he was as evil as his wife. I managed to work out a bit about what was going on but not the extent of it. Neither character deserved any more than each other. Good but disturbing read about how awful people can be to those supposedly closest to them.
literarymama16
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarymama16.html

Post by literarymama16 »

Gone Girl was twisted! Not many books can put me on the edge of my seat. Every time I thought I figured out the plot, there was another twist! Definitely a book well written. And the way the characters came to life was incredible. It may have taken a few chapters but the mystery and thrill of it drew me in. Great read,and the movie was surprisingly good as well
mbottoms1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbottoms1.html

Post by mbottoms1 »

I started reading this book on vacation in March as a beach reading. The beginning started off rather slow and confusing for me, but quickly picked up. It intrigued me and I was entangled in the book but I don't know that I would say its a "can't put down" type of book. I did have to leave it for awhile and pick it back up later and it was hard for me to get back into as far as intensity. I saw the movie after reading the book and unfortunately for me, this is one where I prefer the movie over the book.
minderly
Currently Reading: Prototype
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minderly.html
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.

Post by minderly »

I am not generally a huge fan of this genre. However, I absolutely love Gone Girl. I liked it so much that I read another Gillian Flynn book, Sharp Objects. These books are dark. They are not for the easily disturbed. That being said though...I suggest you at least try the author out. Gone Girl would be better to start with than Sharp Objects.

As someone who is not a fan of authors like Stephen King...I actually thoroughly enjoyed this suspenseful thriller. It is a rare talent to piece together an in-depth plot while ensuring character development. Many times it seems that authors choose between the character and the plot at hand. However, this is not the case for Gone Girl. Truly, a fantastic read and a challenge to try something new even if you have never liked the genre before.
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

I gave the book 3/4 rating, my sister recommended this book to me and told me it was pretty enjoyable book.
at first I was a little skeptical, it's not really my cup of tea regarding the genre , but against my better judgement I crawled up in bed with a hot cup of tea and I started reading it, it certainly got me hooked :o

Amy Dunn disappears on the day of her 5th wedding anniversary. gradually some evidence started to pop up suggesting that her husband, Nick, somewhat involved.
The first part of the story reveals the truth about their marriage, what everybody thought it was a perfect marriage, wasn't that perfect after all.
the second part was my favorite, you get to know the twisted sides of the characters and the mystery starts to unravel.

I must add, I loved the ending . I thought it was perfect match for the story, rather than some people's suggested -alternative ending.

I definitely recommend the book for anyone who enjoys suspense thriller/ domestic fiction.

Have fun :D
hdubrow
Currently Reading: A Walk in the Woods
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hdubrow.html

Post by hdubrow »

I was really excited and refreshed while reading Gone Girl. It's rare to be able to sincerely call a book a "page turner" but I was hooked from the beginning. I couldn't put it down until she solved the who-done-it (I suspected Amy's parents) and once that question was finally answered, it led immediately to more questions. The characters were thorough and compelling. I gave the book a 4/4 because of how smart, well written, and complex it was. I found it both entertaining and challenging. Flynn's voice as a writer is well developed and she offered new insights, perspective, and ideas. I was intrigued both by the characters of Nick and Amy, they and the story itself, left me with a lot to think about long after I finished the book.

My only critique is the ending. It seemed like once Flynn had revealed all her tricks she ungracefully backed out of the story.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It took me a decent time to read, maybe about 3 weeks but overall I really enjoyed it.
peony_olive
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peony-olive.html

Post by peony_olive »

I would rate this book a 3 out of 4. I liked the twisted characters, but I felt that at one point it all seemed very obvious as to what would happen next.
Cateyworkman
Currently Reading: City of Fallen Angels
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cateyworkman.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Cateyworkman »

After getting through the first third or so of the book I absolutely loved it. It completely made up for the slow beginning. It was a very fast read once I made it to that point. I can not wait to see the movie.
Kayo Smada
Currently Reading: Flora and Ulysses
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayo-smada.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Kayo Smada »

I really enjoyed this book in a schadenfreude sort of way. Following these two characters was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, yet I was glued. I was struck at how someone could be so psychologically manipulating that even Hitchcock would've been impressed. I thought this book was an excellent example of the Rashomon effect, where you can have two or more different characters/witnesses with different stories about what happened during an event. I watched the movie afterwards and was fairly impressed, although there were some notable differences between the book and the movie.
TheGreatKatsby
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegreatkatsby.html

Post by TheGreatKatsby »

I would rate Gone Girl a 4 out of 4 stars. It really had everything that a psychological thriller needed. The narrations were creepy and perfect for the feel that the book was going for. I was always thinking the wrong thing and I think that that is good. Gone Girl has deep characters with more personalities to them than you think. The story and plot is well thought out and the writing is superb. A wonderful read overall.
14aadams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-14aadams.html

Post by 14aadams »

i give this book 3 stars it was very suspenseful and I was very shocked. The author must have been a smart thinker to come up with such a complex plot line

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”