Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
jbt 01
Favorite Author: A.G Howard
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbt-01.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by jbt 01 »

I like books better because can you enjoy them longer. :)

-- 07 Nov 2015, 18:13 --

I liked the book better because one I like books better than movies and two they left out so much! :oops:
JoHelton07
Favorite Author: rowling
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johelton07.html
fav_author_id: 2546

Post by JoHelton07 »

I enjoyed both. Of course, there was so much that the movie did not cover that I felt was very important. Also, there were some changes I was not keen on at all. But the casting was very well done.

The book will always be my favorite between the two, but I think they did a great job with the movie!

-Jo
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

JoHelton07 wrote:I enjoyed both. Of course, there was so much that the movie did not cover that I felt was very important. Also, there were some changes I was not keen on at all. But the casting was very well done.

The book will always be my favorite between the two, but I think they did a great job with the movie!

-Jo
What did you feel were the most important things they left out?
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

I prefer books to movies, because of their ability to describe different senses we can't see, like smell, touch, taste etc. Also, they describe what the narrator and each character is feeling. All in all, they provide more detail than movies. But they also leave stuff up to the imagination :shock:
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

The books. The Divergent movie was good. The Insurgent trailer seemed very different from the book, so I never watched the movie.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
JoHelton07
Favorite Author: rowling
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johelton07.html
fav_author_id: 2546

Post by JoHelton07 »

Aithne wrote:
JoHelton07 wrote:I enjoyed both. Of course, there was so much that the movie did not cover that I felt was very important. Also, there were some changes I was not keen on at all. But the casting was very well done.

-Jo
What did you feel were the most important things they left out?
SPOILERS!!!!

It's been awhile since I've read the book or seen the movie, but the biggest thing for me that was left out is Four's love confession at the end of the book. I realize that the book is more than their feelings for each other, but I think that knowing how he feels so early on explains their actions in the other two books. It also adds to the drama of their fight in the 3rd book.

Also, I think the danger of being in Dauntless was downplayed. They left out the death of the initiate who jumped from the train and missed. Right before they even make it to Dauntless, an initiate dies. I think this adds to the weight of Tris' decision to jump first. She just saw someone die and she is still willing to jump first.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html

Post by zaynab_m »

I think all (or most) of us are unanimous in the opinion that the book was way better than the movie. As it is in most cases. Books are awesome!<3
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

When it comes to something like Divergent, where I didn't even know the book existed until after the movie trailers and such, I always prefer to watch the movie first, because the books usually are better (and have more info, so it expands upon the movie experience!). Except for the Harry Potter series, I never read past the movies, so I can still be surprised. Once the series is over I'll have to give the books a shot, the story is rather awesome and I'm psyched for the rest of the movies!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

The movie did not hold my attention at all, whereas I could not put the book down!!
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

I am hands-down a book lover. I have yet to see a movie that has outdone the book. I'm always nervous about seeing a movie that draws from a book, since they are often disappointing. That said, I have thus far been pleasantly surprised by the Divergent series of movies. They've managed to hold fairly true to the books, while condensing the story into something manageable on the big screen. Still, when I've gone back to re-read the books, I find I still love the book more.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Chelsea Abagail
Currently Reading: Incubus Makes Three
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsea-abagail.html

Post by Chelsea Abagail »

I liked both but I liked the book more( I usually do) it was more detailed
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I generally prefer books to movies. But I did think that Divergent movie was very close and accurate to the book, I had a fun time watching it.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Taylor Hagen »

always the book! :mrgreen:
CTurtle
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cturtle.html

Post by CTurtle »

I find it very seldom that I love a movie book as much as a book. While there are good interpretations, such as Gone with the Wind, the HP movies, and the HG movies, I still find the book versions superior.
meigui22
Favorite Author: Tolstoy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meigui22 »

what's the question? Of course the book!

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”