Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Which characters should be given more credit? (spoilers)

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Which characters should be given more credit? (spoilers)

Post Number:#1 by The Book Reviewer
» 07 Aug 2015, 06:37

We all love Tris, but some of the more minor characters should also be given huge credit and noticed more for what they did, or what happened to them.

Personally, I would choose Al. Even for the things Al did, other people never seemed to pay attention to how Al was coping. Even Tris ignored him when he was crying himself to sleep. I know if I was thrown into a new place to live, without my parents, with men like Eric as leaders and day after day of pushing your body to its absolute physical and mental limit, I would not be holding up very well. Tris was exceedingly tough, but others, like Al, were not and so they found it difficult to put on a brave face and get on with it.

It may just be that it is not in the Dauntless faction to help the weaker members or look for signs of people not coping, or maybe it was Eric's leadership. Either way, I think Al should not be hated as a character, nor should he be loved for what he did.

What do you think? Do you agree with me about Al, or see him from an entirely different perspective? And which characters do you think should be given more credit?
The Book Reviewer

Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Which characters should be given more credit? (spoilers)

Post Number:#2 by courtney8847
» 08 Sep 2015, 21:40

I completely agree! Simply making the choice to go through Dauntless intitiation is a pretty brave choice in itself (they have to jump off a building in the beginning for crying out loud) and even though he made some poor choices, his choice to try to be a part of the bravest faction should give him more credit than he's given.
courtney8847

Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#3 by kaitykinetic
» 15 Jul 2016, 12:27

I think that, if you use their code (which includes “We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”) then Al is not brave. He chose to give in and be involved in a horrendous act toward Tris, when even abstaining would have been the "braver" choice. If he had done that, then I would agree that he is a very underrated character.
kaitykinetic

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by fari30
» 08 Aug 2016, 11:51

My absolutely favourite character in Divergent is Uriah and it saddens me that he is so often overlooked. I feel like he's very charismatic and lovely and provides the much-needed smiles and laughter.

SPOILER FOR ALLEGIANT!! While I didn't bat an eyelash when Tris died, I may have shed a tear or two for Uriah. *sniffles*
My weekend is all booked!
fari30

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books