Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Re: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Post by jordyn21 »

Are all of the books just as good as eachother? I have only read the first one and loved it so I don't want to be disappointed with the other ones like I was with the Hunger Games series. I loved the first one but it went very much down hill from there. Not saying that I didn't love that whole series, the last two just didn't live up to my expectations from the first one.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
estelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estelle.html

Post by estelle »

The series is definitely action-packed and exciting, but my order of favorites go by publication order (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant...). The first book is definitely my favorite!!
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I enjoyed the series. It is not the best I ever read, but very good. The second and third books were really good as they had twists that I didn't see coming (hard to do for me).
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
nsharpes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsharpes.html

Post by nsharpes »

I've only read Divergent, as I am behind on the whole "I love the Divergent series" wave, but I really liked Divergent and hope the others don't disappoint, as I really like Tris and Four.
sarahlovestoread
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahlovestoread.html

Post by sarahlovestoread »

I loved this series. It was intense, moving, and gripping. When I began the third book, I was a little disappointed with the way the story went, but I didn't allow myself to dwell on it very long. It's like life. Things don't always go the way you want them to. I let myself enjoy the change and ended up bawling at the end. Haven't had a chance to read Four yet.
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

I loved the series but Divergent is my favorite, I was disappointed by the ending of Allegiant but I have to hand it to the author for keeping my interest until the end.
Seabiscuit1308
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seabiscuit1308.html

Post by Seabiscuit1308 »

I read Divergent and found it really thrilling,but to my annoyance my friend spoilled the fun of reading Insurgent by relating the plot and the characters over and over again.But I'm totally looking forward to reading Four,so no spoilers please!
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

I loved this series but was really saddened by the ending. Overall, I will give it a 3 out of 4.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
Jbennett96
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbennett96.html

Post by Jbennett96 »

The first two books were absolutely perfect. The third book I refuse to finish. I have reached page 200 and I just cannot be bothered at all. Roth should have focused on writing a good final book as opposed to rushing through. I am so ashamed to say that I Veronica has actually made me not care about these characters and their futures at all.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I hated them all. I honestly think that they're really similar to The Hunger Games. How come no one points that out?
I am a free spirit
like mafia
jnoel0908

Post by jnoel0908 »

Divergent is fairly good. The next two are terrible and don't really jive with the first at all. If you are comparing it to the Hunger Games, Divergent loses in every category. The Hunger Games is consistent throughout. I really disliked the last in that series simply because it was too sad. Tris is not a relatable or even likable character. For that reason, the romance falls flat. Even her friends don't really like her. Her name should have been G.I. Jane-
Andreas107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreas107.html

Post by Andreas107 »

Good, but nothing remarkable. You'll forget about it the next week. Something to be read just for fun.
ravenclaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenclaw.html

Post by ravenclaw »

I didnt really like Four that much (the book not the character). I felt it was really dragged out as well as being washed out. I like Four as a character but as the main protagonist in the book...I'll pass.
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I loved the books. I'm in the middle of the third one right now. I agree that the movie followed the plot pretty well, but like always I missed those details when you are reading. It is also difficult to turn a first person narration into a movie.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
Skylar41
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylar41.html

Post by Skylar41 »

I thought it was a great. First time I read it was borrowed by a friend and I fell in love with the series. Read it more than once and can't wait for Insurgent movie to come out :)

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”