Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post Number:#61 by Supcoolfofa01
» 12 Aug 2015, 12:34

Everybody has secrets they don't tell and I can't imagine having to confess all of them for everyone to know. It definitely takes bravery to be honest, but the way they are honest in Candor is stupid because I believe that some thoughts are best kept quiet.
Supcoolfofa01

Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#62 by The Book Reviewer
» 23 Aug 2015, 16:15

Yes, it is true because sometimes it is easier to lie. Sometimes it is the cowardly option.
The Book Reviewer

Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#63 by courtney8847
» 08 Sep 2015, 21:45

I definitely agree. I think that being truthful 100% percent of the time is something people seldom do, no matter how honest of a person you might be. Even the most miniscule of lies happen, because people are often afraid to speak their mind for fear of the judgement of others.
courtney8847

Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#64 by RooneysReviews
» 11 Sep 2015, 16:11

Bravery is an extremely complex idea in society today and is explored frequently in literature. The truth is almost always portrayed as "good", but not always when it would cause pain. White lies are usually considered harmless since they do not hurt anyone. However, being entirely truthful about everything does take bravery, but it also takes wisdom. Candor would likely be just as painful to live in, with everyone telling the truth, as Dauntless is if everyone lied. The truth can hurt, and that is when wisdom becomes important to the situation. Sometimes, neither a lie nor truth is necessary and someone just needs to know when to be quiet.

As far as which faction has the most courage, I think each faction is courageous in it's own way. Even choosing where you will be living and how you will be living, would be terrifying but it is a choice everyone in the factions has made. Even the most cowardly person has been brave at least once.
RooneysReviews's Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
RooneysReviews

Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#65 by doyle5
» 01 Jan 2016, 12:21

I think it does require a lot of bravery to be honest all the time. The phrase " everyone has their dirty little secrets" is said for a reason. The majority of the human population is very afraid of what the people around them think of them.

There are three main reasons people lie.
1) We are afraid of what will happen when we tell the truth.
2) We want to be more interesting
3) Self image (this fits in with 1 and 2, but I felt it was a big enough reason to have its own numeral)

Other people are apart of our lives. It wouldn't be bearable if everyone you knew your secrets (which depending on who you are would put you in jail or become public mockery) and ultimately choose to treat you harshly.
doyle5

Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#66 by The_Venturas
» 11 Mar 2016, 08:26

Well, nobody can be 100% honest all the time. The most common lie that people say each day is "I'm fine" or "I'm not sad". These are just a few examples. It takes lots of bravery from a person to tell the truth, eventough it hurts to the person who is hearing the truth.
The_Venturas

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#67 by Mares Nest
» 04 Jul 2016, 10:57

This is so tricky. It requires bravery to be honest in a world you understand, where people are mean and exploiting and you have to be careful about every word.
But when you're a child or even or grown up who doesn't know the working of the world, honesty comes as easy as breathing. You don't see the reason to lie.
Mares Nest

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#68 by fari30
» 08 Aug 2016, 23:11

I think Dauntless focuses more on physically being brave. The actual act of physically going outside and doing something you're afraid of. However, I do believe bravery is so much more than that. Most of the lies are tell are because I am afraid of the consequences. It takes bravery to hold peace above anything else. It takes bravery to be selfless and make certain that everyone is as well as you are. It definitely takes bravery to delve deeper into knowledge, especially things that are so far out of reach.
My weekend is all booked!
fari30

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books

Post Number:#69 by Krazk01
» 10 Aug 2016, 20:48

Honestly, I think there is strength to be found in all of the factions. Dauntless focuses more on the nitty gritty stereotypical ideal of "strength", whereas the rest of the factions pose a view of strength that takes a little more insight to notice.

Candor, for example requires its members to be completely truthful at all times. Theres a lot of little things in life that we sometimes lie about, like persee taking our parents food out of the fridge and telling them it was our brother, or when our friends ask us if we like someone and we lie and say no. The thought of being honest all the time, i'm sure makes some people want to jump out of their skin. To be completely honest about who we are, what we think, and what we feel is akin to vulnerability and a kind of nakedness :oops: I'd say. And most people aren't used to that. Most of us are so afraid of being rejected for who we honestly are that the thought of having to keep every single aspect of our lives in the open is frightening. Its so hard for us to trust the people around us with who we are, our very heart of hearts, its hard to trust that the people around us can not break that. We're scared of people breaking us. So, to answer the thread topic, I do think it would require a certain amount of bravery for the average person to be able to spill all their secrets out in the open, all the time.
Krazk01

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#70 by zero_macabre
» 19 Sep 2016, 07:03

Tanafee wrote:True- it takes bravery to be truthful and admit to ones mistakes.

In real life, when you're trying to apologise to someone for doing something wrong or hurtful, it is really difficult. For me, that is. Honestly, I'm just worried that the person will reject my apology. It definitely takes courage to admit that you were wrong.
Although those in Candor aren't in Dauntless, they do possess some sort of bravery in them to always speak the truth. It is always difficult to break sad news to someone and they are unable to tell white lies to conceal the actual truth.
zero_macabre's Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
zero_macabre

Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 55 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#71 by Taylor Razzani
» 20 Sep 2016, 20:03

I would say Dauntless and Candor display two different kinds of bravery. The Dauntless perform acts that could hurt them or get them killed, but they do these things out of bravery and by controlling their fears. The bravery Candor requires deals more with how people will react and perceive you once you speak your mind. You could end of hurting someone's feelings, alienating yourself or just be in a generally awkward situation, all things people usually try to avoid. So it may not be quite the same as throwing yourself off a moving train or jumping off buildings, but it does take some level of bravery to tell the truth at times.
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#72 by laylawhite
» 14 Jan 2017, 11:47

I agree with Tris because sometimes it's not always easy to tell the truth. I also feel like Candor is more brave than Dauntless in some aspects because it must be difficult to tell people you love the truth even though it might hurt them.
laylawhite

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Previous