What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
MyThoughtsExactly
Bookshelf Size: 9

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by MyThoughtsExactly »

I would've definitely chosen Amity then, and I would still choose Amity now. Peacefulness, kindness, forgiveness, trust, self-sufficiency, and neutrality...that's exactly me!

The fact that they had to make a huge decision at 16 is the same as the way things are today. Children choose what they want to do with the rest of their lives at 18, which I believe is why there is so little job satisfaction. "Nobody likes their job", "a jobs sole purpose is to make you money", etc.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Hm. I probably would've been born into Erudite but Abnegation would also be a possibility. Honestly? I probably would've been easily manipulated and fully adopted the viewpoints of whatever faction I was a part of during my childhood. Manipulated might be a strong word but I'm sticking with it because I'm not sure how else to put it. That, coupled with the fact that I both love my family and was incredibly dependent on them, I probably would stick with whatever faction they were in just because I wouldn't want to leave them. However, there's the possibility I would pick whatever happened to be the faction my mother hated the most because I was a real gem at sixteen. Since Erudite and Abnegation hate one another the most (it seems), I imagine I'd end up in one of those. As an adult, I'd choose Candor.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

At the age of 16, I would definitely want to be an Erudite, whether I was born into or not, for a few reasons.

1) My family and friends (including me, of course) value education and furthering our knowledge of the world around us.
2) My choice of career is actually a teacher :)
3) Most of my friends are teachers, engineers, and doctors.
4) Lastly, my favorite color is blue, so I already have plenty of blue clothing!
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

I would be born into Erudite because like others have said, my family values education. However they want me to do what I want and are pretty relaxed. I am not sure what I would have chosen, because I love action, reading books, and being honest. However I don't really value knowledge I know that it is important but I don't value it. Plus the Erudites are kinda stuck up and I am pretty relaxed and lazy. (I hate studying.) The Dauntless are too ruthless for me and Candor is very blunt, they will tell you the truth even if it will hurt you. So I would probably be a divergent. I just don't know which of these traits are more prominent in me...I might have chosen Candor.
Sarcasm: The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.
Quote unknown.
Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Get out and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something.
Quote unknown.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

My family would probably have been Dauntless because my whole family loves fun and likes to try new things. I however at the choosing ceremony would pick Erudite because of my love of knowledge and exploring new possibilities.
mystery lady
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rogue</a>
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystery-lady.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by mystery lady »

I would choose Amity because I want life to be peaceful. This faction would be a perfect fit for me since I always want to avoid conflict and have things go smoothly. My family would totally support my choice because we have similar frames of mind.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
the-quirky-ravenclaw
Currently Reading: A work in progress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by the-quirky-ravenclaw »

I would probably pick candor because I don't like lying.
Nathan Klein
Currently Reading: Killing Patton
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-klein.html

Post by Nathan Klein »

I would probably be born into Abnegation and chosen Erudite at 16.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I'd like to say that I'd choose Erudite, but like someone mentioned above, I know I'm too lazy for that. Even though I don't want to grow crops, I'd probably choose Amity. It sounds like a nice, quiet, peaceful life. I could go for that.
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

I probably would have chosen Amity. It may not have all my traits, but it seems the best life.
VanessaB16
Favorite Author: Harper Lee
Currently Reading: Rivals In The City
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessab16.html
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
fav_author_id: 2399

Post by VanessaB16 »

I would have probably been born into Erudite because my parents are both very studious and take education very seriously. Though, I love being adventurous and would have probably chosen Dauntless! :D
"And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?"
Latest Review: "A Heartfelt Thank You to My Intelligent Designer" by Francis T. Sganga
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

I think I would have been born into the Abnegation faction and then chose Erudite but would have been wondering if I made the right decision my whole life.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
98jazzy98
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Currently Reading: Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-98jazzy98.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by 98jazzy98 »

After A LOT of contemplation, I think that I would have been born into Eurdite, because my family has a natural tendency to retain what we learn and apply it to our lives. That being said, there are a lot of reasons we wouldn't fit in Eurdite. Then, at 16 during my choosing ceremony, I would have stayed in Eurdite. Despite their motto, "Faction before blood", I would have stayed in that faction because of my family. I wouldn't be able to give them and never see them again.
courtney8847
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney8847.html

Post by courtney8847 »

I feel like my family, while not really fitting into a particular one of these categories, would come closest to abnegation. However, I think that at the choosing ceremony I would be pretty conflicted between abnegation and dauntless, as bravery and selflessness are the two things I most value. Though in a book I once read, it can be true that bravery and selflessness can be two parts of the same quality.
RooneysReviews
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rooneysreviews.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

Post by RooneysReviews »

Each faction is so different and has so many cons that choosing one would be very difficult. I would guess that I would have chosen Amity at 16, because that would feel like the best one where everyone would be kind and accepting. Dauntless would be my very last choice and it honestly did not appeal to me even as I read the book. However, by age 18, I'm sure I would have chosen Erudite since I had a thirst for knowledge. I think it's obvious that people change as they grow, which is another example of why the factions would not actually work successfully.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”