Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post Number:#226 by Taylor Razzani
» 20 Sep 2016, 20:26

I would have been born into Candor, my family isn't afraid of speaking their minds. But I think I would have chosen Erudite at 16, I love to learn and read and it seems like a good fit, except for the whole not having pets thing and how they seem to view themselves as better than anyone else. Maybe if it was more about learning and less about trying to seize power and not doing anything at all that seemed illogical it would be a no brainer, but alas. :(
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#227 by rachel_jacks
» 26 Sep 2016, 09:55

I think my answer now might be different than when I was 16, however the question specifically refers to what I would have chosen at 16. Jumping back into my 16-year-old midset, I probably would have chosen Erudite. I am doubtful that my family would have been in that faction to begin with and at that time I really hated pretty much my entire family. I would have gladly chosen a faction that took me away from everyone I hated. I had no social life to speak of and was taunted and teased for being different on a regular basis. I was not brave or outgoing, so Dauntless would never have come to mind. I was also pretty shy/timid, so I don't think that I would have been driven to join Candor. I found it best to be invisible instead of speaking up about how I really felt. At only 16, I had not formed an opinion about wars or violence. I saw myself as weak and invisible. I didn't think that the way I was treated was right, but I was not in a position to take a stance against it either. My life, at that point, revolved around being successful in school (which I excelled at) and going to college. Learning has always been important to me and at 16 it was even more so. For that reason, I am pretty sure I would have chosen Erudite.
Journey beyond the jacket.
rachel_jacks's Latest Review: "Killer Potential" by Aften Brook Szymanski
Publishing Contest ~ 9 Votes ~ View rachel_jacks's Entry
rachel_jacks

Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#228 by lmossor
» 09 Oct 2016, 20:59

Dauntless
lmossor

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#229 by kileiah
» 19 Oct 2016, 03:40

This is a fascinating question. When I read Divergent I readily identified with Tris' family and their values, so similar to conservative Christian ones, so I'm pretty sure I would have been born into Abnegation. At 16 I was learning to be a good friend and I loved adventure and romance, and I think I would have chosen Amity. As I've grown older I think this would have been a limiting choice, and as the books acknowledge the values of all the factions should come with maturity. I aim to be Factionless, and therefore constantly negotiating the values of all.
kileiah

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)

Post Number:#230 by Felica_the_great
» 23 Oct 2016, 10:47

I feel as though my family would be Abnegation. We are plain and humble. Nothing truly special about us.
As far as what faction I would choose... Dauntless hands down!
I have always been daring, loud, obnoxious if you will. I am the black sheep who paved the way for other family member to not be afraid to be who they are.
I suffer from auto-immune disease and some days find it hard to get out of bed. So train jumping and fist fighting all seem so appealing to me!! I would give anything to be able to run again!!!
Felica_the_great

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#231 by Mannie913
» 30 Oct 2016, 08:48

I would have chosen Amity because I love to be outside. In all my groups of friends, I am usually the peacemaker. I could not have fit in with Dauntless because I have many fears. I am not as brave as Tris. I love that knowledge that Erudite has to offer but I don't know if I could just sit and learn constantly. I also don't like how point blank they are. With the Candor faction, I do appreciate that the truth will set you free. However, I think there are somethings that are meant to be a secret and kept from others. I wouldn't like having to take that truth serum. Abnegation has pure roots. I love that they are caring but I don't like the way they are taught to just hide themselves. I personally don't like the whole faction system because I think a working society should have citizens who in capture more than one of these qualities.
Mannie913

Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Voyage
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 44%

Post Number:#232 by Jennifer Allsbrook
» 30 Oct 2016, 20:36

Scott wrote:The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

What faction do you think you would have been born into, given your family and its values? Which faction would you select at your Choosing Ceremony? Why? How would you feel about making a decision that would determine your life’s course at the age of sixteen?

The faction into which I would have been born would probably have been Amity. My family has a very caring nature and my father was a farmer. At sixteen, I would have chosen to enter into Erudite. I am a firm believer that knowledge is power, quoting Sir Frances Bacon. I have little tolerance for ignorance and believe that education is critical to a successful life and future. I am an educator as a result of this belief which follows the Erudite value of intellect. I think that this would be a hard choice to make at sixteen, especially knowing that you would be forever severed from your family.
Jennifer Allsbrook's Latest Review: "Staff Sergeant Belinda Watt" by Tom Holzel
Jennifer Allsbrook

Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 6%

Post Number:#233 by Swara Sangeet
» 08 Nov 2016, 13:38

I'm not so sure. I would have probably been born in either Abnegation or Erudite and would probably opt for either, because I love to read and I love to serve people as well!
Swara Sangeet's Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Swara Sangeet

Currently Reading: The path Of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 181 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#234 by AliceofX
» 13 Mar 2017, 02:35

As for family, I have several "truth teller" members, and by that I mean people who like to say mean truths and point out the flaws of others while remaining completely oblivious about themselves, and if you even say anything critical about them they immediately get defensive, so might be Candor, but probably Amity since they come from a country background. As for myself, I would probably choose Erudite at 16 because back then I, of course, knew that I was so much smarter than everyone around me. That just goes to show why we don't let 16 year olds define their entire life. Now I would probably choose a different path.
AliceofX's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
AliceofX

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 345 books

View Reviewer Page

Previous