Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post Number:#196 by courtney8847
» 08 Sep 2015, 21:17

I feel like my family, while not really fitting into a particular one of these categories, would come closest to abnegation. However, I think that at the choosing ceremony I would be pretty conflicted between abnegation and dauntless, as bravery and selflessness are the two things I most value. Though in a book I once read, it can be true that bravery and selflessness can be two parts of the same quality.
courtney8847

Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#197 by RooneysReviews
» 11 Sep 2015, 16:38

Each faction is so different and has so many cons that choosing one would be very difficult. I would guess that I would have chosen Amity at 16, because that would feel like the best one where everyone would be kind and accepting. Dauntless would be my very last choice and it honestly did not appeal to me even as I read the book. However, by age 18, I'm sure I would have chosen Erudite since I had a thirst for knowledge. I think it's obvious that people change as they grow, which is another example of why the factions would not actually work successfully.
RooneysReviews's Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
RooneysReviews

Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#198 by accioawesomeness
» 12 Sep 2015, 10:19

I would've probably been born into Erudite, my parents definitely value education very much. I myself would probably choose to be in Abnegation. I have a really strong moral compass and I feel like if I could do something in my life to make others happier and make this world a better place in general, that life would've been worth living.
I could see myself thriving in Erudite as well, though, because I'm really quite a nerd and I love learning. It's the Erudite's solely analytical and logical thinking that kind of puts me off. I take action on instinct a lot more than I do on thinking, strategy and analysis.
accioawesomeness

Currently Reading: The Casual Vacancy
Bookshelf Size: 30 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#199 by rosemarieshort
» 12 Sep 2015, 15:54

In my head it would be Dauntless. But I think in reality I would probably be Erudite. I have always loved to learn and I don't know if I could live in a world where learning was not some kind of priority for me. Saying that, if I were brought up in a faction which wasn't Erudite I may not have that instinct...unless I were Divergent!! :)
rosemarieshort

Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 55 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#200 by Morgan_Malone
» 23 Sep 2015, 03:52

Erudite! Honestly, I would probably still choose Erudite today. I definitely couldn't do all the things from Dauntless (I mean jumping off trains? Who am I, Spiderman?" ), I'm too stubborn and argumentative for Amity, I like to keep to things to myself so Candor wouldn't have worked out. And sadly, I'm not self-less enough to be in Abnegation. I do however, have a passion for learning and research that would definitely work out at Erudite.
Morgan_Malone's Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Morgan_Malone

Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 75 Books

Post Number:#201 by Krambkn
» 08 Oct 2015, 16:35

I would have been born into Candor, my family was all about be open and honest throughout my entire childhood. I would like to think that 16 year old me would either stay in Candor or switch to Erudite because I value knowledge and think that it is incredibly important.
Krambkn

Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 62 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#202 by literaturelover
» 08 Oct 2015, 17:26

My Parents are definitely Amity. I like the easy attitude of Amity, so at 16 and now I probably would have picked Amity. 2 of my Siblings would be Dauntless. My youngest sister is my copy so she would definitely be Amity like me.
"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
Jane Austen
literaturelover's Latest Review: "Red Romeo" by Peter Bernhardt
literaturelover

Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: Chances
Bookshelf Size: 144 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet

Post Number:#203 by Aithne
» 07 Nov 2015, 12:56

My parents would be Amity, I think. They are very creative and easy going. I would have chosen dauntless, amity or erudite. It would have depended on the culture of the sections at that time. I have an attitude and like doing my own thing, tattoos, etc. like the dauntless but I also have a thirst for knowledge and a creative streak. But, Amity were so easy going they refused to face conflict, dauntless had little regard for their own health and erudite were stuck up and refused to see the benefits of common sense over an endless craving for knowledge... Every house, taken to its extreme like that, had major faults.
Aithne's Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
Aithne

Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#204 by jbt 01
» 07 Nov 2015, 18:22

I would have chosen Amity because I love nature and gardening. And I think I would really enjoy the peacefulness of Amity. :D
jbt 01

Favorite Author: A.G Howard
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#205 by VinuW
» 10 Nov 2015, 13:27

Everyone in my family is smart-mouthed, so I would be born into Candor. I'd join Erudite since I happen to be a big nerd. :)
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
VinuW

Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books

Post Number:#206 by Hans08
» 14 Dec 2015, 02:02

I'll probably choose Dauntless. I've always wanted to be fearless. There's something just fulfilling about living without fear and giving your all everytime.
Hans08's Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett
Hans08

Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 683 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#207 by vortex189
» 15 Dec 2015, 12:40

I probably would have been born Factionless. I was raised in a family that does not fit into any of the categories. I myself would want to be Divergent because I believe in all of the factions and they each have a great purpose. I believe that people should always help others and not only help others in a general sense but go out of their way to help others. Since I run a non-profit I think I would qualify for Abnegation. I always believe that people should never lie no matter how small or large. Truth trumps all. Also, education is very important to me. One of the reason I love to read so much. It is one way I learn so many things. And lastly I am a brave person who likes to challenge things that do not make sense to me. I also enjoy living a life to save the planet and I am generally very happy no matter how bad things get. I grew up most of my life in a bad environment and do not want to waste any of my time being unhappy.
vortex189's Latest Review: "The Shape of Rain" by Nick Hirst
vortex189

Currently Reading: Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)
Bookshelf Size: 111 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#208 by Bookaholic14
» 23 Dec 2015, 13:47

I think I would have been born into Erudite, as my family has always placed a very high value on education. Having obtained *only* a college degree, I am the "black sheep" of my family, the rest of whom all hold university degrees.

I'm not sure I would have chosen a faction. I think I would have approached it by process of elimination.
* I am not selfless enough to be Abnegation.
* I am not brave and fearless enough to be Dauntless.
* I am not honest enough to be Candor.
* I am not peaceful enough to be Amnity.
* Given my 'lack' of higher education, I am not Erudite.
After all the debating, I think I would have elected to stay with the faction I was born into: Erudite. Although I am not as educated as the rest of my family, I have always dreamed of returning to school.

To a degree, I think we are already compelled to make a decision that will determine our life’s course at the age of sixteen. I remember looking through the various post-secondary options in high school at 16-17 years old and feeling woefully under-prepared for choosing a path for higher education, and ultimately my profession. The saving grace is that we have the opportunity to change our mind and pursue another path if we choose.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Bookaholic14's Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Bookaholic14

Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#209 by doyle5
» 30 Dec 2015, 11:27

I would have been born into Dauntless. My family has a strong military background. Even though my dad is retired he still helps anyway he can. My sibling and I where taught how to handle weapons such as guns, knifes, and taught self-defense. In other words, the world of Tris and Four I would have been very much adapted to the Dauntless culture; however, at heart I would have been Abnegation. But, I would stay with Dauntless because family is too important to me.
doyle5

Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#210 by The_Venturas
» 11 Mar 2016, 08:43

I would choose amity. Eventough i've been raised in a family with military background, but still we loved peace. We often think that having a long-lasting conflict wouldn't make us any better and won't solve the problem in any ways. Other than that, i think that happiness and freedom are more valued than anything. So, i would go with amity, where people live happily, free with lots of garden :D
The_Venturas

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page

PreviousNext