What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Kjewett07
Currently Reading: The long walk
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjewett07.html

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by Kjewett07 »

I would have chosen either Erudite or Dauntless. I love to learn new things. I also love to research stuff so I think Erudite would have been the best faction for me. I also enjoy being free and I feel like there's a freeness that comes with Dauntless. However, I'm pretty sure that I would have been too scared to take risks! Like jumping from a moving train, or jumping off a roof when I can't see the bottom. The idea of those things both terrifies me and excites me!
nothingtolose90
Currently Reading: The Guard
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nothingtolose90.html

Post by nothingtolose90 »

Dauntless for sure :)
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

Definitely would have been born into Erudite. My mom is a teacher and my dad strictly believes in an extremely through education. I probably would have picked Amity, though I don't know for sure...
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
Kbird23
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbird23.html

Post by Kbird23 »

My father would have been Erudite and my mother would have been Amity. I feel that I would fit into all of them pretty equally. I would have probably chosen Dauntless simply because I hate being bored more than I hate anything else.
secretadmire
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-secretadmire.html

Post by secretadmire »

I would have been born into Candor, as my parents instilled honesty in their kids over all other virtues, which of course has led to awkward encounters of telling the truth when I shouldn't. At sixteen, I'd have chosen Erudite, because I was a huge nerd, and I'd probably choose the same thing now.
lcwpatterson

Post by lcwpatterson »

I probably would have chosen dauntless. My dad would definitely have been in Dauntless as he is definitely the daredevil in the family along with my brother. My mother would have probably been in abnegation...she is extremely selfless. I can't imagine that my self-absorbed 16 year old self would have chosen anything but dauntless. I have always be crazy active and jumping from a train would have been my idea of fun around that age.
abasto123
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abasto123.html

Post by abasto123 »

Given my family and it's values I probably would have been born into Erudite. Although I probably wouldn't have made it, I think I would have chosen dauntless. I love to be challenged and love a good argument. Plus according to my family I have an anger problem so I wouldn't fit in anywhere else. I do feel sixteen is a little young to choose the rest of your life but you must do it sooner or later anyways
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Post by BColeman »

I'd probably be in Erudite.
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
c3o_c3o
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by c3o_c3o »

I think I would have been born into Erudite because in my family almost everyone gets good grades and they get into some of the best colleges, because we think that education is important. But I think that I would have gone for Dauntless because I'm always daring to try something knew and I love to do adventurous things like zip lining and riding the biggest and fastest roller coasters but I also love the kind of rush you get when you do fun things like that. So I would have definitely chosen Dauntless.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

In all honesty, I would've chosen Erudite. Most people my age would probably be Dauntless but I like learning and being smart.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
RMarks2015
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rmarks2015.html

Post by RMarks2015 »

I would definitely have been born into Abnegation, my mother is a carer and always helping others before herself. At 16 though it's a tough call between erudite, candor and dauntless. In reality I think i would have been too scared to risk dauntless and although especially at 16 i valued blunt honesty, i think my geeky side would have won out and I've had gone for erudite.
Daniela03
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniela03.html

Post by Daniela03 »

I think that I couldn't fit in any faction I would probably end as a faction less because in not smart enough of kind enough neither brave or selfless so I would be stuck forever eating trash
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

Probably Abnegation or Erudite... I like helping people but I'm a reader too.
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

I probably would have been born into Erudite, as education is very important to my family. At 16, I'd either have chosen Dauntless (I was attracted to a bit of danger at that age) or Erudite. If I'm being perfectly honest, it probably would have been picked by me following a friend into one of the factions.

I think 16 is too young to make such a long-reaching life choice. I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck with some of the choices I made at 16.
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I'm not very sure where I would have been born. Maybe Eurdite or Candor. As an individual at 16 I would definitely choose Amity. Not only are they friendly and free spirited, but they seem pretty layed back and open minded as well. As far as making life decisions at 16, we pretty much already do that as a society. Going to college around 18 is a huge decision, and you have to think about well before you actually go, so you have time to apply for scholarships, college itself, and become involved in activities that will help you with those things. Choosing classes in high school is a big decision too; you have to take the ones that will help you most in your future profession. For example, at 16 I have basically decided that I want to be a history professor. Because of that decision, I've decided to take as many history classes as I can. In school, we've written papers about our chosen careers, written letters to colleges, and picked out what courses will be of most value to us. Because of that, I don't feel like the choices we make are that different from the choices these characters have to make.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”