What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
lmossor
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmossor.html

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by lmossor »

Dauntless
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kileiah »

This is a fascinating question. When I read Divergent I readily identified with Tris' family and their values, so similar to conservative Christian ones, so I'm pretty sure I would have been born into Abnegation. At 16 I was learning to be a good friend and I loved adventure and romance, and I think I would have chosen Amity. As I've grown older I think this would have been a limiting choice, and as the books acknowledge the values of all the factions should come with maturity. I aim to be Factionless, and therefore constantly negotiating the values of all.
Felica_the_great
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felica-the-great.html

Post by Felica_the_great »

I feel as though my family would be Abnegation. We are plain and humble. Nothing truly special about us.
As far as what faction I would choose... Dauntless hands down!
I have always been daring, loud, obnoxious if you will. I am the black sheep who paved the way for other family member to not be afraid to be who they are.
I suffer from auto-immune disease and some days find it hard to get out of bed. So train jumping and fist fighting all seem so appealing to me!! I would give anything to be able to run again!!!
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I would have chosen Amity because I love to be outside. In all my groups of friends, I am usually the peacemaker. I could not have fit in with Dauntless because I have many fears. I am not as brave as Tris. I love that knowledge that Erudite has to offer but I don't know if I could just sit and learn constantly. I also don't like how point blank they are. With the Candor faction, I do appreciate that the truth will set you free. However, I think there are somethings that are meant to be a secret and kept from others. I wouldn't like having to take that truth serum. Abnegation has pure roots. I love that they are caring but I don't like the way they are taught to just hide themselves. I personally don't like the whole faction system because I think a working society should have citizens who in capture more than one of these qualities.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Scott wrote:The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

What faction do you think you would have been born into, given your family and its values? Which faction would you select at your Choosing Ceremony? Why? How would you feel about making a decision that would determine your life’s course at the age of sixteen?
The faction into which I would have been born would probably have been Amity. My family has a very caring nature and my father was a farmer. At sixteen, I would have chosen to enter into Erudite. I am a firm believer that knowledge is power, quoting Sir Frances Bacon. I have little tolerance for ignorance and believe that education is critical to a successful life and future. I am an educator as a result of this belief which follows the Erudite value of intellect. I think that this would be a hard choice to make at sixteen, especially knowing that you would be forever severed from your family.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I'm not so sure. I would have probably been born in either Abnegation or Erudite and would probably opt for either, because I love to read and I love to serve people as well!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

As for family, I have several "truth teller" members, and by that I mean people who like to say mean truths and point out the flaws of others while remaining completely oblivious about themselves, and if you even say anything critical about them they immediately get defensive, so might be Candor, but probably Amity since they come from a country background. As for myself, I would probably choose Erudite at 16 because back then I, of course, knew that I was so much smarter than everyone around me. That just goes to show why we don't let 16 year olds define their entire life. Now I would probably choose a different path.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I think it would be a hard mix of Erudite and Dauntless. I have always (and always will be) a nerd, but have always been an adventuress and reckless spirit as well. I'm sure that Erudite would win out though.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

If I were 16, I think I would have chosen Erudite. I have always loved reading and learning.
Kailyn

Post by Kailyn »

I would have probably picked Dauntless because I've always loved challenges & it seems to fit my personality best. I've never really fit in just one group of people either so i more than likely would have been a divergent.
Cinnamon-Paige
Currently Reading: the little friend
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamon-paige.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Cinnamon-Paige »

I would have probably tested as a Divergent...
Misphantom
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misphantom.html

Post by Misphantom »

I would choose Candor.
Although I am brave enough (and reckless enough) to parkour and face whatever they're going to throw at me, I have a weak body and I live with a sedentary lifestyle. I may be brave enough to jump from a moving train but my body can't handle it.
I'm not an Abnegation person because I'm selfish and I won't trade the only food I have left (especially if it's my favorite) to someone I don't know.
I'm not an Amity type either because I'm not that nice, but I can live with them, I guess.
I'm okay with Erudite. I'm one of the top students in class, but I don't want to spend my whole life in education because I'm easily stressed.
Candor is the perfect faction for me because I am very talkative and I tend to say the first thing that would come out of my mouth. I normally don't care about the consequences. I also abhor lying. When someone lies to me, I won't trust them a second time.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Wow... what a decision. This is very hard given my family runs more divergent than ever. My mom was brutally honest, she loved to garden and live off the earth, and she was all about adventure and trying new things, like sky diving. My dad lives off the earth, loves adventure, and cares for others so much more than himself. I think that I would be divergent, as well. So choosing would be near impossible. If I had to choose, it would be Erudite. I love to learn.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

I would have been born in amity my family pride themselves on social standing and appearances although they may not say it out loud. Also I would have some traits of erudite because my family place a lot of emphasis on education however I think I would choose dauntless because I would want some excitement and adventure. Have you ever wonder why we always seem to think that the grass is greener on the other side?
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Paroca
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paroca.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Paroca »

I think I was born into Amity, since my dad's the peacekeeper in the family plus he's a farmer. He fits in perfectly. Haha. My mom might be from Erudite or Abnegation, but moved to Amity. I think I would have chosen Erudite, though, at sixteen. I was all about studies then.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”