Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Mares Nest
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mares-nest.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work

Post by Mares Nest »

They factions would never work in the real world. You just can't bend or confine the mind like that. Whatever we say, in the end we thrive on change and chaos. We get bored of one thing if it's done too often. Having to do the same thing every single day would either drive a person crazy or make them rebel. We are humans, raging with curiosity and emotions, we can't make ourselves that fixed. Nothing living in nature is that fixed.
George30
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george30.html

Post by George30 »

Factions were created because humans are never really content with anything. They will always want more. Be more have more but never give more. Each one thinks of themselves to be special when they are really just one of many. The system was created to try to correct all of thet. Ironically, the creators are also humans (so you know how that went). But, saying that, i still believe that the creators had good intensions.

Personally, i think that the idea of the system is genius. And it would have made life so much more fulfilling knowing what your role is and doing it. Not knowing more makes you not want more, thats what i believe.

There are lots of other stories where this kind of system is also used (eg. Hunger games; the giver; etc) and as you might have guessed already. The system went down in the end because, well, there humans. But the thing is these humans from these stories are different from us who live in the real world. Let's be real. We are more stubborn, self centered, and we cant control stating our stupid opinions. We dont like being controlled in any way. So will it have worked in real world? No. It wont even be considered
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I think the creation of the factions is interesting to think about. You can choose where you believe you belong and contribute to society using the talents of that group. I think in the beginning it would have been a good idea, even giving the power to the selfless Abnegation leaders. Let's be honest, politics sometimes could use leaders that are more willing to act in the best interest of others before themselves. But it's in human nature to stray from your better attributes. Abnegation might do some things that seem to be for the greater good but are repressive and unfair, Erudite could use their smarts to try and find a way into power, or Dauntless could use their strength to overthrow any of the other factions. It might have started out as a way to find peace and balance in the world, but people had to ruin it. :roll2:
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I think that the factions were meant so that everyone will be 'classified' so everything will be neat and orderly. They wanted it to be a perfect society with a perfect system to group everyone. Personally, I feel that it worked, sort of. It did manage to sort the people out according to their interests and what they want to do. However, it definitely had flaws. The Divergents could not 'fit' into this system as they were split personalities.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The factions were made to help keep peace and arrange and to keep up the adjust. But I don't think it work out as the story unfolded.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by magicquill »

They were created to maintain peace and order. But in the end it just created conflict and division. It will not really work because it created confusion and destroyed the balance in the world.
Because if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward.

- Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Withstanding the knowledge we gain from the rest of the series, it did seem like a genuine desire to create a better society in the first book. Like they were created with the idea of a Utopian society in mind. I think it keeps like-minded people together and creates a balance in a community, especially since they are given the freedom to choose. I do think they should be older when they choose because a sixteen year old's desire could be very different from even a twenty year old's desire. The isolation is what hurts society. Grouping people together unfortunately pits groups against one another. It's human nature.
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I think the factions were created to ensure order in the world, but I just think they were simply limiting people's potential. Obviously it did not work as a result.
Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

The factions were created on a basis of peace and unity for a better society. Just that realm of thinking is wrong as all people are complex and not just one side of a personality. The exclusion of certain traits to join a specific faction was doomed from the get go. The factions were about a sense of control for the government while being different is not encouraged. The way Tris wanted adventure and her brother wanted to learn more and more showed how people are more than the faction they are born into. They had no freedom but that one point in time where they could choose a new faction or stay in the one they were born to. That doesn’t speak of freewill or choice as once you choose that’s it. The concept makes me think of middle school dances and how kids separate themselves into their groups by race, beliefs, gender, and interests. We do much the same but it makes nobody happy. Inclusion of all is the only way we can succeed together. We have to stop judging and start accepting others for who they are and where they are on their life journey.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Obviously for the purpose of creating an idealistic society for the purpose of maintaining peace and order.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

This is just like hunger games or the selection series. Though the intention for this is to maintain order and organization of the society, power abuse and the competition between factions lead to chaos and the disruption of the society.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

To keep people under control, not to keep peace. We aren't robots programmed to one behavior no matter our strengths or our short-comings. This should have started revolution earlier and they talking about the fact it had been that way for a while!!! This theme drives me insane, societies that claim peace but turn people into wide-eyed followers of government!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

In the beginning, the factions were created in order to maintain peace and stability in the new world. While the idea was originally made to make a better world, it clearly failed once the people outside the walls grew hungry with power. It is ultimately depressing to imagine being shoved into a categorial faction when people were born to have multiple personality traits. The practice of stifling people into one personality is awful and is definitely not working in this society.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

The structure kept order - for a time. We obviously see that it doesn't. I think it failed because they took away choice. In the end, it doesn't matter how arguably good a system is for a group of people - if the design is based on removing someone's freedom, it's going to chafe and they're going to do everything in their power to escape from that system.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

The factions were originally made for a good purpose, and it kept everything in order and control for a while. However, after the removal of the peoples' freedom, the purpose of the factions vanished and the system became forceful. They did not work out in the end.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”