Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Re: Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work

Post Number:#46 by RooneysReviews
» 11 Sep 2015, 16:48

The factions were created to take the power away from the people and let them be easily controlled by a corrupt leadership. Similar to many popular books these days (The Hunger Games), this system does work for a while. However, it's inevitable that people are going to become unhappy with being repressed this way. That is when rebellion starts to be appealing and the system falls apart. So in a way, yes, the factions have worked for a long time and kept an unfair distribution of power. Once cracks start to form, though, the whole system deteriorates rather quickly.
RooneysReviews's Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
RooneysReviews

Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47 by anonanemone
» 23 Sep 2015, 14:52

I think the factions are a form of institutionalized extremism. This was done to give people specifically assigned areas to strive for and direct their attention. It seems that people that are moderate or that do not otherwise fit well are tossed aside into the factionless and become unseen by society as a whole.

I do find it interesting the particular traits that were chosen for the factions.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
anonanemone's Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
anonanemone

Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: Tinder Stricken
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 897 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books

Post Number:#48 by Mares Nest
» 04 Jul 2016, 11:00

They factions would never work in the real world. You just can't bend or confine the mind like that. Whatever we say, in the end we thrive on change and chaos. We get bored of one thing if it's done too often. Having to do the same thing every single day would either drive a person crazy or make them rebel. We are humans, raging with curiosity and emotions, we can't make ourselves that fixed. Nothing living in nature is that fixed.
Mares Nest

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#49 by George30
» 19 Sep 2016, 05:43

Factions were created because humans are never really content with anything. They will always want more. Be more have more but never give more. Each one thinks of themselves to be special when they are really just one of many. The system was created to try to correct all of thet. Ironically, the creators are also humans (so you know how that went). But, saying that, i still believe that the creators had good intensions.

Personally, i think that the idea of the system is genius. And it would have made life so much more fulfilling knowing what your role is and doing it. Not knowing more makes you not want more, thats what i believe.

There are lots of other stories where this kind of system is also used (eg. Hunger games; the giver; etc) and as you might have guessed already. The system went down in the end because, well, there humans. But the thing is these humans from these stories are different from us who live in the real world. Let's be real. We are more stubborn, self centered, and we cant control stating our stupid opinions. We dont like being controlled in any way. So will it have worked in real world? No. It wont even be considered
George30

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#50 by Taylor Razzani
» 20 Sep 2016, 20:17

I think the creation of the factions is interesting to think about. You can choose where you believe you belong and contribute to society using the talents of that group. I think in the beginning it would have been a good idea, even giving the power to the selfless Abnegation leaders. Let's be honest, politics sometimes could use leaders that are more willing to act in the best interest of others before themselves. But it's in human nature to stray from your better attributes. Abnegation might do some things that seem to be for the greater good but are repressive and unfair, Erudite could use their smarts to try and find a way into power, or Dauntless could use their strength to overthrow any of the other factions. It might have started out as a way to find peace and balance in the world, but people had to ruin it. :roll2:
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#51 by zero_macabre
» 30 Sep 2016, 05:26

I think that the factions were meant so that everyone will be 'classified' so everything will be neat and orderly. They wanted it to be a perfect society with a perfect system to group everyone. Personally, I feel that it worked, sort of. It did manage to sort the people out according to their interests and what they want to do. However, it definitely had flaws. The Divergents could not 'fit' into this system as they were split personalities.
zero_macabre's Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
zero_macabre

Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 55 books

View Reviewer Page

Previous