Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

KK1982
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by KK1982 »

I enjoyed divergent and read through ther entire series quite quickly. I was engaging and really made you think about what the world could be like. I have not seen the movie yet and am alittle reluctant as they have hyped it up so much i feel i might be disappointed with the outcome. I was however alittle dissapointed at the end of the series.
samurai_93q

Post by samurai_93q »

I'm a big Hunger Games fan so I don't know if that affects my judgment or not. :shock: I read the first book after I watched the movie, so I basically forced my way through the first book just to get to the second. I honestly loved the second book and zoomed through it. Loved the characters and the story line although there were some missing pieces. The third book I absolutely hated! It took me forever to get hooked on it. It's as if the story started to become too predictable. I feel like the story had too many levels that weren't constructed very well.
Horselover4511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horselover4511.html

Post by Horselover4511 »

I loved this book and series more than The Hunger Games. I instantly fell in love with the characters and I was crying when characters were crying. I haven't seen the movie yet but I am extremely excited about it. I hope people don't just group this book with Hunger Games and decide not to read it because they didn't enjoy Hunger Games. I absolutely love this book!
Delane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delane.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Delane »

I loved the divergent series. Books two and three less than the first. It's a book I'll definitely read again. I found Tris inspirational. I was so excited to see the movie and found Four nice to watch, but the book was definitely better. I like getting to read the full development of characters and although the series ended in a slightly deflated way, I was much more pleased with this ending than the hunger games series, which I wanted to throw at the wall. I would recommend divergent over hunger games any day.
jordantyler91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordantyler91.html

Post by jordantyler91 »

I read this a couple of months back and read through the whole trilogy in less than a week. I really enjoyed the first book (I was at a conference when I picked it up and ended up spending most of the conference finishing the book) but I don't think that, having read the whole trilogy, I can offer my opinion without considering the series as a whole. While the first book got me intrigued with interesting character building, an interesting world dynamic, enticing me with a budding romance, and hinting at the villain, I found the rest of the series to be lackluster. The second book was a lot of back and forth bickering between Tris and Four and the third books' ending disappointed me to no end. I rated it a 3/4 and would recommend the first book due to it's hook but am not sure I would recommend the series as a whole.
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I had been wanting to read it because of the movie coming out. I liked it overall but not enough to pick up the following two. It looks like, according to others, that this was probably a good choice. I thought it was an enjoyable book but not too much more. I will probably watch the movie to see if it's better.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
caitlinisabella

Post by caitlinisabella »

Divergent was an amazing book. I read it in one sitting as it is a real page turner. It was an easy read but gave a real insight on what our future could be like.

Tris is either a role model or someone to use as a bad example. She is always throwing herself into danger but is a strong character and shows little fear. But as this is the trait of Dauntless I think that the change was right for her. If she did not fit into abnegation then her faction switch to Dauntless was the right choice.

Overall I recommend this book to all teenagers and young adults. I haven't seen the movie but I would like to see it to compare it to the book. It was a quick easy read and i thoroughly enjoyed it.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

My best friend pushed Divergent on me and I pushed the Book Thief on her.

I read Divergent and I thought the overall concept was interesting. However, the writing style felt choppy to me. You can tell this was Veronica Roth's first book. She seemed to lack experience with writing. I also founf myself iritated with dauntless. Who wants to get punched in the face? It does not seem logical.

On the other hand, Insurgent was a much better read. Veronica grew as a writer in this book. I enjoyed the story, and it was less choppy. Insurgent was my favorite out of the three. It was a real nail bitter for me.

Alligiant was a love/hate book for me. It was slow, and the ending made me mad. I thought it would have gone another way. I also did not read after the "incident". I do not want to give anything away for those who have not read it.

All three books were a great concept, but a poor execution. I think Veronica Roth needs a little more help with her writing style and techniques. To be fair, I read Divergent after the Book Theif, and so I may have been more harsh with my ratings and expectations.
whitbreezyy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitbreezyy.html

Post by whitbreezyy »

I had heard of Divergent, but I really had no interest in reading it because I just wasn't sure I would like it. I had also seen commercials for the movie, which I was equally not too excited about. Somehow I got talked I to seeing the movie, and I ended up really liking it. Now, if you know me you know I absolutely hate when people go see movies without reading the book first, so I hates myself while watching that. Hahaha. But when I got home from the movie I decided to read the books. I ended up finishing them all in about a week. I still honestly believe I saw the movie before I read the book, but I still really enjoyed reading Divergent. I love how we get to see Tris and Four's relationship begin and develop. I also really love the idea of a futuristic society and how it runs. It's fun to see authors' interpretations of the distant future. Overall, I loved this book.
PotterManiac
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pottermaniac.html

Post by PotterManiac »

I absolutely loved the Divergent series. I thought it was absolutely amazing. At times I hated how much Tris and Tobias fought. I also didn't like how Tris would go looking for trouble and at times she was annoying to me. I was also very upset when she died but overall I loved the books.
aluric

Post by aluric »

Divergent was a fun, quick read. I enjoyed watching Tris learn about herself and the unusual group of people she had chosen to join. The descriptions of the Dauntless locations and activities, both official and unofficial, were imaginative and easily visualized. The main characters and many of the minor characters had depth to their personalities. While I would have liked more backstory it would have interferred with the flow of the action. Unfortunately, at the end I don't care enough about the characters and their world to read the next book in the trilogy.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

This is one of those books I would consider to have a lot of potential, but just bored the heck out of me. There was a basis for a good plot, but I don't know that I enjoyed the way everything played out, though it had a good pace throughout. My biggest issue though was the writing style. I don't know why, but it just read really dry to me, and this is really not a good thing for a young adult. If i'm going to pick up the genre it's for a smooth, easy read. "Easy" not necessarily meaning you don't have to think, just with a better flow than Divergent had.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
alyssiabrw

Post by alyssiabrw »

I really enjoyed reading it. There were some parts that were a little clichéd but I think that happens when a genre gets popular. There are a lot of dystopian books that have come out since The Hunger Games got big. It is similar to how the vampire themed book got huge after the Twilight series.

I did like it a lot and I especially like that it did not end up in a love triangle. Reading the whole series there were some parts that I did not expect at all. I had to buy all the books so I can re-read them in the future.

-- 16 Jun 2014, 13:55 --

I really enjoyed reading it. There were some parts that were a little clichéd but I think that happens when a genre gets popular. There are a lot of dystopian books that have come out since The Hunger Games got big. It is similar to how the vampire themed book got huge after the Twilight series.

I did like it a lot and I especially like that it did not end up in a love triangle. Reading the whole series there were some parts that I did not expect at all. I had to buy all the books so I can re-read them in the future.
Kteal143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kteal143.html

Post by Kteal143 »

I loved this series, read the entire series in 4 days, with the exception of the last few pages. I was not pleased with the ending, and had no desire to complete the last book. Maybe this is something others actually enjoyed about this book, that it didn't end like majority of other YA books.
serenasmoothie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenasmoothie.html

Post by serenasmoothie »

I read this book before the movie came out and I thought it was okay. If I had to choose to live my life without ever reading it, I would've been fine with it. I think the hunger games were much more captivating

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”